Salvinia and my livebearers

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I got some salvinia from my lfs today. I have just put it in my 33 gallon and my mollies and other fish in the tank have started nibbling at it. I'm afraid that they're going to mow it down and ruin it... :/

I have put some salvinia with my betta, he's not interested in it at all.

Mollies are omnivores but they need and will eat a fair amount of plant-type matter. They need to be fed algae/kelp-based flakes to provide this (Omega One Veggie Flake is ideal as it has the plant matter with whole shrimp and fish), but they will nibble soft plants, and floaters like duckweed usually get eaten a lot, Salvinia obviously the same. It might be an idea to put some of the Salvinia in another tank if you have one, to have a reproducing "supply" in case the fish decimate it.

So my fish have easy access to free food? :rofl:
I have put some Salvinia in my bettas tank.

So my fish have easy access to free food? :rofl:
I have put some Salvinia in my bettas tank.
My bettas seem to like Slavinia in their tanks. They like resting on the Anacharis never the surface as well.

Live bearers do need some sort of plant matter ion their regular diet.

My bettas seem to like Slavinia in their tanks. They like resting on the Anacharis never the surface as well.

Live bearers do need some sort of plant matter ion their regular diet.
So it seems like I'll be "breeding" Salvinia :rofl:

I have been trying salvina too since my anacharis melted away in my tetra tank, so far the tetras seem to leave it alone. I was going to try some in my platy/guppy tank. Good to know they like to munch on it. Right now even salvinia is hard to get I have some on back order.

I have been trying salvina too since my anacharis melted away in my tetra tank, so far the tetras seem to leave it alone. I was going to try some in my platy/guppy tank. Good to know they like to munch on it. Right now even salvinia is hard to get I have some on back order.
Could you try ordering online?

When I just have put in the Salvinia in, its an instant nibble :lol:

I put some duckweed in my SE Asia tank once, and it took over and made a gigantic mess. Took me almost a year to get rid of all of it. If your livebearers keep it under control while providing themselves a healthy snack, be grateful!!! :lol:

I put some duckweed in my SE Asia tank once, and it took over and made a gigantic mess. Took me almost a year to get rid of all of it. If your livebearers keep it under control while providing themselves a healthy snack, be grateful!!! :lol:
I would just put in trash:lol:

I would just put in trash:lol:
Oh, I did. This was in a densely planted 55 gallon tank. I'd clean out the duckweed, miss one or two bits, and in a week it would be taking over again. In the right conditions that stuff grows explosively.

Oh, I did. This was in a densely planted 55 gallon tank. I'd clean out the duckweed, miss one or two bits, and in a week it would be taking over again. In the right conditions that stuff grows explosively.
At least they are good in removing excess nutrients, ammonia, nitrite and nitartes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back