Salty Life On The Edge

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MBOU

Recovering LFS Worker
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well, I had a great start to my first Nano Tank (my first reef and tbh my first proper marine tank). I was given a black Fluval Edge which is a great start i think ;). I already had a Fluval heater whcih holds the temp at just over room temp although the flat is a fairly even temperature.

Sooo... just to set me off tonight.. i have:

-Black Fluval Edge
-Coral Sand
-Live Rock Pieces
-Mature Salty System Water
-Mature Bio Media
-Evolution Aqua Biological Gel Ball (thingys)

Well, doesnt that all sound great!! On opening up the box and trying to assemble the tank, I am missing one bulb and the grey tray to put the filter media in... thats fine, have set it up without those... but then I discovered the light unit is knackered!!!

The tank looks so cute already!! Tomorrow i am picking up all the bits im missing from work! Bloomin Hagen, was a sealed box as well!

This tank was set up in aid of Mr Googles, the Mantis Shrimp i rescued from being euthanised because he was a pest. He has been sitting in a tank at work for ages now and he now hand feeds from tweezers and is generally harmless (though he did give me a good whack with his claws once and woooow is he strong! it was my fault for poking him out his hiding place to move him though).

He is very placid for a mantis, he has nasarius snails, a turbo snail and a hermit crab all living in with him with no problem, he is a well fed mantis and the spoilt brat knows it, he gets stroppy if not being fed!

Would love peoples thoughts so far and suggestions definately. I have had an amazing customer say i can frag any of his corals im looking after at work and he has loads of small liverock that i can have. Im already getting a small collection of mushies and polyps that fall off in out coral tank. Sorted!! :good:

Photos Tomorrow!!

EDIT:

Tank is 23L and i assume that i including hangon filter...

I will have Mr Googles my mantis shrimp in there, if he lets me, i would like a hermit or two, a nasarius snail and a turbo snail.Is there anything else that can go in or leave it to polyp etc?

Lovely to see you here on the salty side, was wondering when Mr Googles might go home with you :good:

Must admit to not being a great fan of the Edge tanks, so hard to clean all those edges :blink: but am really looking forward to seeing Mr Googles tank come to life :kana:

I would stick to having soft corals like zoas, mushrooms and ricordias in the tank, could look lovely and maybe even some xenia to give movement

Seffie x

ps dont forget the photos

Well, got a bit more Live Rock today and new light unit, new bulbs, new media tray and chucked all my media in the dumping ground cuboard and used live rock rubble from work. Intend to half the thickness of the sponge and use a cube of Polyfilter sponge as that stuff is genius.

I have never had a problem cleaning the edge as a cold water or trop tank but i have a small hand and a LOT of experience gravel cleaning :shifty:

Am glad to join you all here at last!! Will get photos up tonight after i have had my scrumptious roast dinner!! Num Num!! :good:

EDIT: Good job my other half cooks a good roast dinner!!! The #41#### light unit has packed in already! Have a feeling it wasnt a new one but one returned. But hacked off is to put it mildly... no photos until lights are on... took me forever to change the light units!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back