SALT BATH FOR BETTA - HELP NEEDED

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alexkay

Reaction score
Hey everyone me again!!!! I have put in ICH meds for my new betta Seth & from your brill advice last nite someone suggested a salt bath, I have been & got salt but am clueless what to do with it as how much do i put in, it recommends on the carton a tablespoon to every 5 gallons of tank water but I gotta do it out of the tank due to my plec inside tank. Would I just put say put a teaspoon full in & how long do i leave him in the water for, i havent got another tank so i will have to do it in a bowl AAAHHHH all this fish stuff is stressin me out it will be me in the salt bath to bring my stress levels down, never mind him. Thanks you Alex :dunno:

For a salt BATH (which you canleave them in for an indefinate period) it's 1TBSP per gallon of water.

For a salt DIP (which you use for up to 30 min ONLY) it's 4 TBSP per gallon of water. (just watch at first to make sure the fish can handle it and doesn't pass out ...if he passes out he will get still and roll over..remove and put in non slatedwater and he'll revive).

Hi SRC thanks for the advice now TBSP do you mean a tablespoon or teaspoon size? thanks :rolleyes: im no good at all this is such a learning curve :)

TBSP = tablespoon
TSP = teaspoon

:thumbs: no problems

I just use a plastic spoon, dip it in the salt container and have it be slightly rounded with salt.

Right ok - seth has now had his little bath i left him in for 15 mins only with it being my 1st time i didnt want to chance anything, he seems to be a little more active now im hoping this will work & the ich will bugger off now. so fingers crossed - can anyone tell me how many times i should put him in a bath whilst he has got the ich??? is it an every day thing? :flex: im learning fast i tell ya thanks to every1s help so a big thanks

I did a salt bath on my betta 3 times a day for 15 mins each time but I think you can go up to 30 mins :)

I do mine for 30 minutes once a day..only becasue I don't have time to do it 3 times...it seems to work great, you should see some improvement.

If he has ick..you still need to treat his water for that on top of the salt dips...otherwise you won't kill the ick and it'll come back.

I tried the salt bath as per directions, 4 TBSP per. Gallon (at own discretion), it didn't go well for me, it was a rather unenjoyable experience especially for my fish. He passed out immediatly after a brief panic which couldn't have been more then a few blinks of my eyes (as warned about in the post, but very different and startling to actually experience) with his eyes producing a little from his head in an unpleasant manner and each eye pointing in different directions I cupped my hand and removed him to get him straight back into his 10 gallon home to revive. Having set him on his highest resting place very close to the waters surface I sat on the floor to give him space as not to cause him any more panic once I was shure he was able to keep himself upright, in place, and he was seeing again with his eyes appearing somewhat normal again. It seemed like an etternity I sat focused on him watching him barely able to hold himself up along with erradic hyper ventilating before he slowly began to come out of it a little at a time. It had to have been at least an hour as a lot of time had passed, but it was a huge, uplifting and I was so very greatful for him after the not so shortly passed dropping feeling in my gut while waiting for him to revive. Not to take away from the topic of this thread with my reply, or say that salt baths are not a viable illness treatment or dangerous in all cases, that's not my intention, but just to advise to approach with caution like any other illness treatment. This may be redundant as it's self explanatory to approach exposing your pet fish to any sudden change with caution, but an extra reminder never hurts in this life. My particular Betta may be uniquely sensitive or he may have been exposed to the full dosage too abruptly when I should have employed an idea such as puting my betta in a bath container with unsalted aquarium water then dissolving the salt with more aquarium water in a smaller seperate measuring container then adding the full dose to his bath container in stages to work up to the full 4 TBSP over the course of the stated max 30 min. salt bath.

Again not to wonder off topic of salt baths, but hoping to add futher as well as complement what is being disused here to help everyone have happy healthy fish, I found a link yesterday while researching and preparing for the salt bath that I myself though would be a excellent conjunction therapy for my Betta ontop of employing other required treatments to cure his home 10 gallon tank completely of Ick. Along with prevenative research in preperation for post Ick erradication to minimize the chance of return, especially with hopes of never having a return from a different source. I found this article to be the best article I have read on the topic of Ick so far, it seems rather thorough, honest and covers most avenues of treatment putting the whole picture together in your mind as how to actually proceed whatever your particular case of Ick. Not inserted to lead away from salt baths, but another opportunity to share the information which I found at the same time as researching salt baths relating to what we are all desiring, health.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

This being my first post on a aquarium forum since my recent start into the hobby hope it's ok to post links to other articles, forums or sites.

Cheers

Andrew

For a salt BATH (which you canleave them in for an indefinate period) it's 1TBSP per gallon of water.

For a salt DIP (which you use for up to 30 min ONLY) it's 4 TBSP per gallon of water. (just watch at first to make sure the fish can handle it and doesn't pass out ...if he passes out he will get still and roll over..remove and put in non slatedwater and he'll revive).
OMG please don't put 4 tablespoons in that's enough to knock him out cold....YOU WILL KILL YOUR BETTA...
I think what you may have meant was 4 teaspoons not 4 tablespoons which is like 16 teaspoons!
**NOTE**
1teaspoon (tspn) per gallon
15 min tops to begin, or else it will stress him or her out bad. I do a half a tspn every 1 gallon of water! you will get the hang of what feels right for you fish. but PLEASE dont put 4tablespoons

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back