Salinity For Red Clawed Crabs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kevin_D

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this has already been answered, but what salinity should red clawed crabs be kept at? and is there any species of fish that can be kept in the same tank as them? I have some Rainbow Crabs (Cardisoma armatum) that ive kept for a few years, and was thinking of keeping Red Clawed Crabs, I would need to research them a lot more first though.

Thanks

Most aquariest who keep these, keep them in 1.005-1.015. My brother has a mess load of them and says he keeps his at 1.012.

I keep my red claw crab at SG 1.025.

There are many species of fish that can be kept with them, as they are not particularly vicious animals.

Please note that the words salinity and specific gravity are NOT interchangeable. They are 2 different measurements. Picky, yes, but, you should know the difference if you are watching this parameter.

Specific gravity vs salinity

i use 1 gram per litre, lol i have heard tell of them breeding at 3!!!!

Thank you SH, that's one of my biggest pet peeves as well.

Steelhealr thats for the link, I didnt know that, as I mentioned I would need to research them a lot first, i'd also need to research setting up a brackish tank a lot more before considering keeping them, and knowing the correct names for the different water measurements, good that people knew what I meant though.

Nmonks recently published a great book on brackish systems. You should PM him or check Amazon.com. SH

Most reactions

Back