Salifert Magnesium Kit

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TigerIssey

Queen TI
Reaction score
Okay, my magnesium test kit came this morning.

There is a note in the instructions saying this is a new version from previous versions where 3ml sample had to be used and can no longer use reagents from previous version with this kit.

Sample size for this kit is 2ml.

Now I am a Biomedical Scientist in Microbiology and have never had any problems with test kits before. It may not be the test kit I am hoping you can advise me.

I have done the test twice, both times I use all of Mg 3 and still do not get a colour change to grey/blue. I am used to the KH/Alk test kit which uses the same syringe drop stir method.

If this is correct this means my Mg level is 1500+

I use TMC Reef Salt. I have Used Seachem Reef Builder to increase Alk/KH and stabilise before starting to add Reef Complete, you need the 2 together.

Calcium 500 ppm
KH 10.9 DcH
Alk 3.89 meq/ml
pH 7.8

Can anybody shed any light on this for me. Is the Mg result feasible. My water does appear to have a white cloud to it that I believe to be the calcium supersaturated. Help please.

have done the test twice, both times I use all of Mg 3 and still do not get a colour change to grey/blue
I had this on the first few tests using this kit. Cant explain why, Thought I was going loopy.
No need to ask you are you following the correct proceedure as you more than anyone should be used to chemical titration tests.
Calcium is very high and pH is a tad low. does this stay stable or wonder around.
Without using additives
Regards
Bigc

Calcium dropped from 520ppm to 500ppm after the addition of my first Euphyllia divisa. I thought calcium was incredibly high, put this down to the salt.

The pH is stable at 7.8 with KH 8.0 Alk 2.86 without the additives.

When I got the additives a couple of days ago I read instructions along with Borneman book to ascertain which KH and Alk I should be aiming for. The reef complete said not use without adding Reef Builder or Reef alkalinity aswell. The instructions say not to add on the same day, I checked the calcium and do not intend to add any Reef Complete until the Calcium level has dropped to below 450ppm. I will aim to keep it a little higher than this as Borneman recommends.

Thanks for the reply Big C, I thought I was going loopy too.

had the same problem with you but its easily addressed. i think the timings for MG 1 and MG 2 are mixed up. you've got to make sure that MG 2 totally dissolves before adding MG 3. MG 2 will not dissolve in just 10 seconds as stated in the paper. i keep swirling till i don't see solids at the bottom anymore, takes about a minute or so. after that you should be fine adding MG 3 and getting your reading

I did that straydum, I work in a laboratory and I know that you have to ensure everything is dissolved. I have always doubled the timings on any test kit to be sure, particularly any API ones (for swirling and shaking). The timing I always stick to is the read after so many minutes time as this is usually critical to the test result.

hmm thats odd then. i got my reading on the third try following the instructions and tweaking it a bit. if your mg is really higher then 1500 then two syringes of MG 3 should be able to get a colour change. if not then there may be something wrong with the test kit itself

I am doing a water change now. I am going to do all tests again after the water has been in for a few hours. If I get no luck with one syringe of mg3 I will see if goes on a second syringe full.

Looked at the salt not sure if it makes a difference it is TMC Pro-Reef Salt not reef salt as stated earlier (not sure if there is a normal reef salt, but making sure you have all information.

Reet
Have done 20% water change.

The reason for this if you have read my journal is that I made a mistake and used cheap phosphate remover. Did not understand why Pachyclavularia polyps refused to open. Consulted the book thought aluminium oxide. Swapped to rowaphos but 4 days without phosphate remover, the polyps started to open almost immediately. Renewed carbon (same amount as per borneman book) at same time. On the cheap bottle it stated that it could lower the pH, I am thinking that it had. pH 7.8 yesterday morning, did not check this morning. Rowaphos went in on Thursday.

Pre waterchange results (all except Mg done yesterday morning)

pH 7.8
KH 10.9
Alkalinity 3.89
Calcium 500
Mg 1500+

Results post Water change today.

pH 8.2
KH 8.6
Alkalinity 3.09
Calcium 480
Magnesium 1500+ (it took 6 drops of a second syringe to turn the colour in titration reaction)

Should I add more Reef Builder to attain levels between 3.2 - 4.5 meq/ml alkalinity and then check the magnesium again??
Is the alkalinity being low going to make the Mg raised??
If I need to add more Reef Builder should I aim for the middle of that range??
If I do add more Reef Biulder, I will not exceed the maximum recommended amount per day.

Hope somebody can help.

High Magnesium is not a problem for most reef aquaria so I'd just wait a bit and let calcerous organisms use it. Add calcim and alkalinity as needed, but don't bother with the mag. If you are not having nutrient problems (phosphate/nitrate) you don't really need to be doing waterchanges with the high-mag salt mix. Out of curiousity, how are you measuring your salinity?

Also out of curiosity, did you open your windows recently before the 8.2pH test result?

You are so intuitive, yes the windows were opened, my other half is doing some work outside, we have run an extension lead out.

I did have a phosphate problem between Sunday and Thursday. Sunday I stopped using the cheap phosphate remover, Thursday I started to use Rowaphos (I explained why in earlier post above). I reduced feeding and reduced lighting slightly but have got a little green cyano on the rocks, it does not look bad actually, however the growth rate has halted and it is being eaten by some of my CUC, not sure which ones but the amount is decreasing so I will leave them to it. I tested phosphate Thursday before adding Rowaphos and it was 0.25, today the phosphate was back to 0.

I will add the alkalinity to achieve around 4.00. The Seachem Reef Complete is calcium and Magnesium so I will not add any yet. I will read abit more about this relationship as I am not wholly confident I completely have it correct.

If I continue to have high magnesium should I use a different salt such as the TMC sea salt for my 10% weekly water changes??
This week my hang on refugium will be set up too and I will have an extra few gallons plus chaetomorpha for Nitrate removal so water changes may not be as critical weekly.

My sg is measured with hydrometer, will replace that soon with a refractometer, I keep it around 1.025, it is the red sea one with thermometer built in. Are you thinking that the hydrometer is reading lower than it should and actually my sg is higher??

Heh, mine was off by 0.005 when I was a newb... As long as you're using a home-made calibration/verification solution (easy to make) to tell whether yours is funcitoning properly it will be OK. If you want to dose alkalinity only, just use baking SODA. At that level with your tank size I'd go with like a teaspoon or so. You can dissolve it in your topoff water before you topoff :)

Somewhere I have read the amounts needed to make a known concentration that can be used to check hydrometers etc. I cannot now find this, does anyone know the recipe I use. I am going to give the hydrometer a good soak in warm water to ensure it is clean and will double check the SG in the tank. I only ever use the hydrometer at 25 deg as this is the tmp it is designed to be used at.

Once the Mg and Ca levels decrease I will be using the additives, as it required the alk/reef builder to be used as well and I got the reef builder as cheap as bicarb would be, I may as well use this for alkalinity now I have it. I do use bicarb in my f/w tank to maintain my very soft water.

It was interesting you knew I had opened a window. Our house is not a closed system as we have a woodburner which means there is circulation to outside when it is not lit via the chimney. I can understand the difference in centrally heated houses but as we have the chimney I did not think opening a window would make that much difference.

I adjusted alk to 4.11 without going over the recommended dose per day for reef builder.
This gives KH 11.5 and the pH is now 8.4.

I will recheck levels tommorrow.

I have been watching the corals like a hawk, they are all looking better than ever in the last couple days. I am presuming they have settled into their spots now.

Despite the clowns hosting the frogspawn (they do overnight now aswell) it is actually thriving, has accepted mysis shrimp in 2 of the heads sat evening and all day had been beautifully expanded. I am watching carefully to ensure the clowns are not irritating it.

Somewhere I have read the amounts needed to make a known concentration that can be used to check hydrometers etc. I cannot now find this, does anyone know the recipe I use. I am going to give the hydrometer a good soak in warm water to ensure it is clean and will double check the SG in the tank. I only ever use the hydrometer at 25 deg as this is the tmp it is designed to be used at.

Once the Mg and Ca levels decrease I will be using the additives, as it required the alk/reef builder to be used as well and I got the reef builder as cheap as bicarb would be, I may as well use this for alkalinity now I have it. I do use bicarb in my f/w tank to maintain my very soft water.

It was interesting you knew I had opened a window. Our house is not a closed system as we have a woodburner which means there is circulation to outside when it is not lit via the chimney. I can understand the difference in centrally heated houses but as we have the chimney I did not think opening a window would make that much difference.

I adjusted alk to 4.11 without going over the recommended dose per day for reef builder.
This gives KH 11.5 and the pH is now 8.4.

I will recheck levels tommorrow.

I have been watching the corals like a hawk, they are all looking better than ever in the last couple days. I am presuming they have settled into their spots now.

Despite the clowns hosting the frogspawn (they do overnight now aswell) it is actually thriving, has accepted mysis shrimp in 2 of the heads sat evening and all day had been beautifully expanded. I am watching carefully to ensure the clowns are not irritating it.
all sounds good. :good:

glad to see your corals are thriving!

You'll find a link to a guide on making a calibration checking solution the the relm of knowlage pin :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back