Sailfin Pleco fin issue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Alex.c

Reaction score
Hi there, Iā€™m just after some opinions, iv recently picked up a Pleco for my aquarium, Iā€™m now starting to notice heā€™s left side fins look as if there ā€œtornā€ at the ends, iv been doing a fair bit of reading about it and seem to find it hard to find a straight answer about it, is it normal? Is it fin rot? Is it something else, also have noticed a couple of white marks on his belly not sure if related or have been there for ages, any help/advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• EF5C5788-BE10-438D-832E-92AB9C9B80D7.jpeg
    EF5C5788-BE10-438D-832E-92AB9C9B80D7.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,845
  • BE144EF7-D592-4047-B1D6-D6B3047FFE7F.jpeg
    BE144EF7-D592-4047-B1D6-D6B3047FFE7F.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 15817036-6457-4033-BBC5-81B414553DEE.jpeg
    15817036-6457-4033-BBC5-81B414553DEE.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 100
Hi, it is not normal, it looks like another fish may have had a go at his fins, what other fish are in the tank and how big is the tank? this looks to be a common pleco and they grow large and produce a lot of waste, if you can keep the tank clean with regular water changes and stop the pickers they should heal, he looks quite battered and stressed, was he previously kept in poor conditions?

Hi, it is not normal, it looks like another fish may have had a go at his fins, what other fish are in the tank and how big is the tank? this looks to be a common pleco and they grow large and produce a lot of waste, if you can keep the tank clean with regular water changes and stop the pickers they should heal, he looks quite battered and stressed, was he previously kept in poor conditions?
Iv only had him for a few days now really, and Iā€™ve got him in 6x2.5x2.5 tank, the tank only has a couple of angle fish, a few small silver Dollars and a small hand full of guppies, so I know none of them would of attacked him and Iā€™m 99.9% sure he was like that when I got him, when I picked him up from the shop he was in a small tank with a few small cichlids and I donā€™t know all to much about his past as tank quality and tank mates, I know my tank is always clean healthy and maintained

Sounds like he was picked on in the shop and had nowhere to go then poor thing :sad: as long as his conditions have now improved you should start to see an improvement in him, people often buy sailfin plecos when they are small unaware how big they grow and then when they get too big for their tank they just dump them at the lfs who then put them in less than ideal conditions hoping to sell them off quickly.

Most reactions

trending

Back