Safety First

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

andywg

Bored into leaving
Reaction score
Just been browsing through the Tunze page and came across this product:

Other power supply units for Turbelle® nanostream® 6055 - safety connector.

831b85a8b7.jpg

Turbelle® electronic 6055 has been fitted with an electronic motor. The pump can be operated on any direct-current source (battery, solar cells) from 10 V to 24 V. For a safe connection to the pump, we recommend the Turbelle® Safety Connector 6105.50, which contains a 4 amps fuse. The safety connector permits normal operation with the TUNZE® power supply unit, but in case of a power failure it will automatically switch over to a car battery or a direct-current source.

I like both sides of that. The first is that if you have a warm climate you can be run on any DC source, such as from a wind turbine or solar cell. This actually has me wondering whether you could recover some of the energy from the sump return pump by installing a water turbine on the drain and use that to generate electricity to drive the tank's flow (you would be saving very little on a pump which uses from 4-18W, but every little helps).

The alternate use (which again is nice) is the ability to connect up a redundant emergency power supply (example used is a car battery) which is used when the mains power us cut off. If this is capable to charge a battery then it would be amazing for anyone worried about power cuts.

This, to me, is a huge advantage of using DC pumps, it seems strange that so few companies (if any) are using DC pumps.

I have a 6055 but couldn't see how you can connect a battery to it (it mentions it in the instructions but didn't say how to).. do you need some other thing to be able to hook it up?

I have a 6055 but couldn't see how you can connect a battery to it (it mentions it in the instructions but didn't say how to).. do you need some other thing to be able to hook it up?

I don't have a 6055, but do have a DC unit (my wavebox). The plug on this goes into a transformer before going into the controller unit. The controller unit then connects to both the pump and the control panel (with the controls for feeding mode and pulse length). I would assume that one could connect a battery to the controller unit instead of the power supply, though the website shows it as just being connected to a separate box (6105.500 is the part number)

This actually has me wondering whether you could recover some of the energy from the sump return pump by installing a water turbine on the drain and use that to generate electricity to drive the tank's flow (you would be saving very little on a pump which uses from 4-18W, but every little helps).

Interesting idea. Drains are tricky though, too much restriction and well, we know what can happen then.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back