Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. click here!
    FishForums.net Vote Pet of the Month
    Dismiss Notice

Safety First

Discussion in 'Marine and Reef Chit Chat' started by andywg, Jan 4, 2008.

1. andywg

andywg Bored into leaving

Just been browsing through the Tunze page and came across this product:

I like both sides of that. The first is that if you have a warm climate you can be run on any DC source, such as from a wind turbine or solar cell. This actually has me wondering whether you could recover some of the energy from the sump return pump by installing a water turbine on the drain and use that to generate electricity to drive the tank's flow (you would be saving very little on a pump which uses from 4-18W, but every little helps).

The alternate use (which again is nice) is the ability to connect up a redundant emergency power supply (example used is a car battery) which is used when the mains power us cut off. If this is capable to charge a battery then it would be amazing for anyone worried about power cuts.

This, to me, is a huge advantage of using DC pumps, it seems strange that so few companies (if any) are using DC pumps.

2. idlefingers

idlefingers Member

I have a 6055 but couldn't see how you can connect a battery to it (it mentions it in the instructions but didn't say how to).. do you need some other thing to be able to hook it up?

3. andywg

andywg Bored into leaving

I don't have a 6055, but do have a DC unit (my wavebox). The plug on this goes into a transformer before going into the controller unit. The controller unit then connects to both the pump and the control panel (with the controls for feeding mode and pulse length). I would assume that one could connect a battery to the controller unit instead of the power supply, though the website shows it as just being connected to a separate box (6105.500 is the part number)

4. idlefingers

idlefingers Member

Ahh, I see. Cheers for that.

5. chrissaysyes

chrissaysyes Nereus

Good info! Considering adding this to my setup now as power cuts are a big worry of mine.

6. SkiFletch

SkiFletch Professor Beaker
    Retired Moderator

Interesting idea. Drains are tricky though, too much restriction and well, we know what can happen then.