Safe way too change buffering substrate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

arcticwolf

Reaction score
My substrate has stopped buffering in my blue bolt tank .... not checked ph in about 2 weeks ... always been great .... it is now reading about 7 instead of the normal 6 to 6.5
This is my 10gal blue bolt tank planted tank .... had good breeding. Likely will need to be changing the 30gal cbs before much longer as well. Need to know the safe way to do it. Have heard that a big substrate change can cause quick ammonia and nitrite spikes from loss of the beneficial bacteria. Also thinking i do not want the new substrate to do a real fast ph change and loose any of my shrimp or the week olds. In case someone knows about the substrate types buffering abilities i am replacing the old shrimp stratum with Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Rio Escuro-F. Seen reviews of this one working better and lasting longer, plus does real well with plants.
kh 0
gh 4
tds 130
Thinking i need to change only a small part at a time perhaps over a few days .... but how much should i siphon out and replace at a time. 1/4 or less. Once a day, every other day. Once a week?
No clue how fast substrate buffers.
I know long term shrimp keepers have to change out substrate to keep active buffering. I can find no info about how to change it out. Only people saying it will need replaced when it quits buffering.

Most reactions

trending

Back