Safe To Change My Pregnant Balloon Molly's Water?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Npatton5

Reaction score
I have a pregnant Molly and six baby balloon mollies from her first fry. The babies were quite a surprise since she was the only fish in there with our dwarf frog. The babies are a few months old so I'm not concerned with their health but the mom looks about ready to drop another fry and I don't want her to go into shock over a tank cleaning. Would it be safe? Or should I wait until she drops her fry?

Water changing isn't that stressful for fish, and nice clean water after it is their best de-stressor. Go for it.

I have platies which are also live-bearers and I found that my adult female would have the fry overnight after a water change. Have heard, tho I'm not sure how true it is, that they will only give birth in the right conditions so if your water quality isn't good she might abort or resorb them and start again.
Live bearers do not need a male present. Once they have mated they can produce several broods from a single mating so be prepared! lol

It wasn't until several months after we purchased her from Petsmart that she started having babies. My kids came and woke me up concerned with the new wigglies in the tank. It is the family joke about how fertile I am and so having a fish that can get pregnant by itself just added to that with an, "only you" comment.

Just a quick update. The complete water change I did was a success. My pregnant Molly has been dropping her fry since yesterday. I was able to count about 14 so far. Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

Back