safe start

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Some would say (ie the label and the fish shop employees) a couple of days.

I would guess about three weeks.

Without safe start I'd say more like 4 - 6 weeks.

I think it varies for everyone and probably varies with the freshness of your bottle too. Also how much ammonia you are trying to grow a colony for.

It would take the same amount of time as just using regular ammonia, and water conditioner.

You do not need "Safe Start".

It would take the same amount of time as just using regular ammonia, and water conditioner.

You do not need "Safe Start".
Despite what I said above, that could be true.

I got impatient with my cycle and added safestart midway.... it ended up taking only about 3 weeks.... which seemed shorter than I was expecting...

I only have the one tank - so I cant say for sure my opinion that the bacteria made the cycle faster.

If you haven't already bought maybe don't waste money if the consensus is it's useless.... if you already bought it I guess don't expect miracles

Hi :) do not be this impatient. Cycle need 4-5 weeks with or w/out the add of so-called start bacterias.

I'm going against the common view here...

This is one product that does seem to actually work to cycle an aquarium with fish present. The best cycling product (aside from using live plants!) is Dr. Tim's One and Only. But SafeStart is Dr. Tim Hovanec's initial formula that he sold to Tetra, and I have so far never heard any evidence that it does not work. Follow the directions.

Several of us on TFF recommend these two products and no other. That doesn't mean others don't work, but these two do.

Why taking the least little risk as it is enough to wait 4-5 weeks ?
How did our elders ? They waited, they took the time of observation that can teach us a lot.

The days of our elders no-one had heard of a fishless cycle. All of the books suggested adding no more than 2 fish every few weeks; I suspect few followed this advice, hence the deiliberate murder of cheap goldfish to start off a tank faster.

Sorry - I don't really disagree - but I think my my personality makes me be devil's advocate. I debate in my head all the time and change my mind about all sorts of things several times a day.

The days of our elders no-one had heard of a fishless cycle. All of the books suggested adding no more than 2 fish every few weeks; I suspect few followed this advice, hence the deiliberate murder of cheap goldfish to start off a tank faster.
My Dad and my Grandpa took the time and had never cycled fish-in !
They taught me patience and their "take the least risk for fish" policy.

I agree that Safe Start doesn't really work. I have tried it before and it may help a LITTLE but you'll basically need the same amount of time to cycle a tank. Bacteria isn't really SHELF STABLE and 99% of shelf stable products claiming to have good bacteria in them don't work. The bacteria will mostly die as the product sits on the shelf or it'll be the wrong type of bacteria. The only products like this that work well are shipped in a refrigerated package to keep the bacteria alive and are very expensive.

Why taking the least little risk as it is enough to wait 4-5 weeks ?
How did our elders ? They waited, they took the time of observation that can teach us a lot.
I hear you and largely concur, BUT I would urge some caution in advocating our 'Elders'...
Our 'Elders' were also into bear-baiting and cock-fighting at one point or other. :p :D :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back