Safe start

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If you wish you can use tetra safe start. I know it has worked well for other members on here :)

I used tetra SafeStart Plus to cycle my bother-in-laws tank and it it worked well, It has the correct bacteria your tank will need.

I originally used just ammonia and time to grow my bacteria for cycling my tank. Took about 6 weeks. Got that established then later made the mistake of purchasing too many fish at one time (got $40 off the overnight shipping cost that way) and it was just too much fish for how much bacteria I had in the tank. I fought that for months until I finally started using Tetra Safe Start plus every time I did a water change (and I do BIG water changes) - had my tank cycled again within 3 weeks and no harm done to the fish. Just remember you really need to grow your own bacteria to supplement so follow the instruction on cycling on this forum that uses ammonia. I only used Tetra because I had living fish and I couldn't risk adding ammonia to the tank.

The safest way is to use the cycling method on here (it's in the Useful Links menu) and use Tetra Safe Start which should speed up the cycle. The method on here alone takes several weeks, and Safe Start might not work, so using both is a belt and braces approach. The reason Safe Start sometimes doesn't work is if it's been allowed to get too cold or too hot during transit.

I always use Tetra safe start. I trust it and its been working for me smoothly for years.

Tetra safe start only took 2 weeks to fully cycled my tank, I would say buy it.

For those of you using Tetra Safe Start to cycle a new tank, what was your ammonia level when you added the Safe Start? Mine has been holding steady at 3-4 ppm but the cycle is not progressing. I was planning to add a bottle of Safe Start but curious what the ammonia level should be. @PheonixKingZ @Barry Tetra

Most people use the fishless cycling method on here which says to use 3 ppm. If the Safe Start works, it should speed things up. (It doesn't work well if it's been allowed to get too hot or too cold at any time between leaving the factory and you buying it)

Most people use the fishless cycling method on here which says to use 3 ppm.

Thank you, essjay. I am trying to expedite the process a bit as I'm getting this tank established for my daughter's birthday. I'd prefer not to present her with an empty tank, but it's looking like that might have to happen. I got the tank several weeks ago and have been trying the fishless cycle with Fritz ammonium chloride but nothing is happening. If it were a tank for me I would just be patient and wait it out but I was so hoping to get a fish in there for her birthday in 2 weeks!

Appreciate the help.

Thank you, essjay. I am trying to expedite the process a bit as I'm getting this tank established for my daughter's birthday. I'd prefer not to present her with an empty tank, but it's looking like that might have to happen. I got the tank several weeks ago and have been trying the fishless cycle with Fritz ammonium chloride but nothing is happening. If it were a tank for me I would just be patient and wait it out but I was so hoping to get a fish in there for her birthday in 2 weeks!

Appreciate the help.
I concur with @essjay.

Congrats on your daughters birthday! Hope she likes the tank. :)

I wouldn't waste my money on Tetra Safe Start again.
Dr Tims seemed to work.
None of them are 100% but seem to work best if you ignore the dosing and just dump the whole bottle in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back