Safe fixative for DIY plastic plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bazouteast

Reaction score
I found some nice looking, inexpensive plastic plants on line. These are not intended for aquariums - but for floral arrangments. They are 100% plastic, no internal wire, and they look very realistic. Now I'm considering what to use to mould a base to secure the stems in an upright position and weigh them doen into the water. I need a cement or glue which is heavy, which will grip the plant stems when it dries, but most important - that won't pollute the water or harm the fishes. Any ideas?

First point; the plastic these plants are made from might itself leach undesirable substances into the water; it could be very risky. If you can get hold of some live daphnia, you could use them to test the plants before you try putting them in with your fish. You could also try (I know this will sound mental) licking them; if the plastic tastes at all bitter, it won't be safe.

Now that's covered, I would recommend a two part epoxy putty, like Millput for making your bases. Most of these are safe, as marine keepers use them, and a good LFS will have aquarium safe types.

I found some nice looking, inexpensive plastic plants on line. These are not intended for aquariums - but for floral arrangments. They are 100% plastic, no internal wire, and they look very realistic. Now I'm considering what to use to mould a base to secure the stems in an upright position and weigh them doen into the water. I need a cement or glue which is heavy, which will grip the plant stems when it dries, but most important - that won't pollute the water or harm the fishes. Any ideas?
I actually work in a floral department. I'm responsible for handling both live plants/fresh cut flowers and fake ones to make arrangements for our displays and other departments. Whenever I get a new shipment in of plastic plants I open the box to a very strong, sort of chemical cleaning smell. I'd be very VERY cautious about putting these inside an aquarium. Most times things are added to the fake foliage to make them look realistic, like a coating to make the stems shine, and other chemicals to keep the colors and dyes on them from leaching/fading over time. These are decorative and meant to be used as arrangements. Floral arrangements. Not made with the intention to be submerged in water for any period of time. As fluttermoth suggested, test them with something live like daphnia first to see if it's safe. Make sure you also clean them very well with conditioned water, not hot water. Best of luck to you, it it works out, let us know! It'd be nice to be able to create aquascapes from inexpensive fake plants!

These are not intended for aquariums
If they are not intended for aquarium use, Do not use them in a aquarium simple.

I've used plastic bottle caps. Poke a hole in them just big enough for the stem to fit through, then melt the stem and flatten it out so it won't pull back through.

I wouldn't add plants that are not aquarium safe, some plastics will breakdown as mentioned already. Toney that is a great idea!

Most reactions

Back