Sae's And Cherry Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kingmed

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a bunch of baby cherry shrimp in a 29 gallon with pygmy cory, 2 small SAE'S and 5 tiny baby platy's. The shrimp are doing fine but will the SAE's or the baby platy's bother them?

Not really the SAE's are herbivores IIRC, pygmy corys and platys will eat the smallest babies so you will experience slight losses if I had to put a figure to it around 20%

SAE's will demolish the shrimp, depending on how large they are, I feed my SAE's pieces of krill just over a cm and they swallow it whole, and they also love eating prawns, but they have to rip them apart first and their not great at it.

Basically, adult SAE's are only safe with the biggest cherry shrimp as long as you are feeding them well.

My SAE'S are only about 1.5 to 2 inches at the most (pretty small). I was told when I got the pygmy cory's that the cherry shrimp would be good to keep with them to take care of the algae.

Strange 3 fingers are you sure that you have true SAEs not false SAEs or CAEs? I thought from previous accounts they were safe from the forums and a quick google backups this information although there is one accounts where having a lone SAE can heighten its aggressiveness as they are a shoaling fish and possibly cause problems.

My SAE'S are only about 1.5 to 2 inches at the most (pretty small). I was told when I got the pygmy cory's that the cherry shrimp would be good to keep with them to take care of the algae.
Id say pygmy cories would be a great companion with shrimp. As previously mentioned, they would be able to eat the smallest of babies. Try to keep pygmy cories in groups of atleast 6, as the demonstrate their best behavior in groups.

Agree with Three-fingers, SAE are good hunters and they can poke their heads into small hiding places.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back