RV Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mnccnm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone , or has anyone used an RV water filter to help remove any chlorine at water changes? If not, seems like a good idea? If so, is there any particular one you've found more effective?

My Aquatic Life RO Buddie removes chlorine from the water, but it also makes my water softer, which isn’t something you would want.

Why not just use liquid dechlorinator?

I do use the liquid, but it would seem that an inline filter would just be an added benefit.

I would stick with the liquid dechlorinator... less expensive and less likely to make mistakes.

What is your RV filter specifications?

Does the RV filter remove all the minerals similar to reverse osmosis filter?
If yes, then you will have to add minerals(example GH+ salt) into the water as all fish need some minerals in the water.

Soft water fish (most South American and Asian fish) will require lower GH (estimation GH 3-8), and will need less minerals.
Hard water fish (most African fish, livebearer: Guppies, Mollies, Platies, Rainbow fish) will require higher GH(probably GH above 12), and will need more minerals.

1) Firstly, check what is your tap water GH?
2) Next, what fish do you want to keep - soft water or hard water fish?

3)If your tap water GH is suitable for the fish that you want to keep, then you don't need RV filter.
Otherwise, you will have to add minerals into your water after going through the RV filter, which mean higher cost and more testing of your water GH to ensure the water is suitable for your fish .
Also, you don't want to have GH swing if you don't add the minerals in the right ratio.

Please read the Information about GH below before deciding whether you want to use RV filter and what fish that you want to keep:

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back