Rummys Lose There Red At Night

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sycko

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have 5 rummys in my tank abd ive notice on a few ocations that sometimes mainly at night and 1st thing in morning they lose there red in there face but through the day there bright red again! is this normal?

If you equalise the brightness in the room before turning the lights in the tank on and off they wont get a fright hence wont loose their colour due to the stress.

When it's really dark in my room and i turn the tank light on before turning my room light on, my zebra danio's are much duller in color also.

This is normal. My rummys also lose their red at night. I believe they do this so when they are asleep on the bottom they are less of a target for predators. They also lose the red when stressed, but as long as they still have a strong colouring during the day i dont think its stress related. :)

Callie84 is correct, at night most bright fish tend to dull their colour in order to be a less obvious target for predators. Imagine if it was pitch black and you had a bright red nose...you're just waiting for an angelfish or an arowana to eat you...however, by dulling your colour at night you become a less obvious target. On the slip side, if they look dull during the day then id investigate your water asap since tetras can be extremely sensitive to their environment, making them a good indicator fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back