Rummy Nose

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

barbelle123

Reaction score
I have bought Rummy Nose from different shops but they die within a day or two, my LFS has now told me that I lose them because I don't have bog wood in my tank ( I don't like the tanning that comes off the wood). I would like to know if other fish keepers agree with my LFS and can any one tell me if there is a way to make the water more suitable for these fish without discoluring the water .
A few months ago I bought two rummies from someone selling up and they are fine so it seems that I only have trouble with shop bought Rummies. My tank is a well establish 300ltr.

Sad to say the 4th rummy died after 12 days in my tank. I just don't understand how I can keep two but any other I buy die.

rummies are very sensitive fish. they are sensitive to water changes. they like to be in well planted well established, well heated tank. i don't think it matters that there is no bogwood, but plants in general are important. they like to be in schools of at least six to be happy. i have had some rummies for a while. my tank is planted and is at about 78 degrees. could the change in tank water be killing them? maybe your lfs would let you take home some of their tank water to test and compare to yours before your next purchase.

I think tank size matters also as they are quite active & enjoy a lot of swim space, I originally had mine in a small two foot tank & they started dying off one by one. I now have 6 of them + 6 x-ray tetras in my bigger tank & I haven't lost any more.

I have bought Rummy Nose from different shops but they die within a day or two, my LFS has now told me that I lose them because I don't have bog wood in my tank ( I don't like the tanning that comes off the wood). I would like to know if other fish keepers agree with my LFS and can any one tell me if there is a way to make the water more suitable for these fish without discoluring the water .
A few months ago I bought two rummies from someone selling up and they are fine so it seems that I only have trouble with shop bought Rummies. My tank is a well establish 300ltr.

Keeping only 2 rummys is a death sentence for the rummys. They are skittish, fragile tetras and need the assurance that only comes from being in a school.

They are also sensitive to water polutants, including nitrates. Clean water is essential to their well-being.

It's very easy to tell a healthy, happy rummy from one not thriving. If your rummy's nose isn't a nice bright red, there may be something wrong.

rummies are very sensitive fish. they are sensitive to water changes. they like to be in well planted well established, well heated tank. i don't think it matters that there is no bogwood, but plants in general are important. they like to be in schools of at least six to be happy. i have had some rummies for a while. my tank is planted and is at about 78 degrees. could the change in tank water be killing them? maybe your lfs would let you take home some of their tank water to test and compare to yours before your next purchase.

Thanks for answering, I think you could be right, the water is probably the problem. My tank is well planted and is running at 78 degrees, I recently bought 4 more rummies, (I like these little fish and would like to keep a much larger shoal) but unfortunetly 3 of the 4 died, the remaining 1 fish seems to be doing well and has paired up with original 2 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping he will live a normal life span.
Babs

I think tank size matters also as they are quite active & enjoy a lot of swim space, I originally had mine in a small two foot tank & they started dying off one by one. I now have 6 of them + 6 x-ray tetras in my bigger tank & I haven't lost any more.

I think my 4 ft tank is large enough, I just seem to be unlucky with these fish, but thank you for your comment.
Babs

Keeping only 2 rummys is a death sentence for the rummys. They are skittish, fragile tetras and need the assurance that only comes from being in a school.

They are also sensitive to water polutants, including nitrates. Clean water is essential to their well-being.

It's very easy to tell a healthy, happy rummy from one not thriving. If your rummy's nose isn't a nice bright red, there may be something wrong.

I would love to keep more rummies and the noses on my original two are bright red even the new one who didn't have much colour when I bought it is colouring up nicely. it seems strange that 1 of the 4 lives and the others died. Thank for answering.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back