Rummy nose tetras...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
๐Ÿ† Click to vote! ๐Ÿ†

I was actually looking for a bigger fish than my neons. Do you have any experience with silver tip tetras?

Silvertip tetra will fine for a 29g.

I have read on a number of other sites that they can be a bit nippy if not kept in a decent size group (not sure how true this tho)

Tetras you may want to look at what are a bit bigger are Flames, Rosy's, lemon's and pristella's to name a few ;)

Thanks! I love the look of silvertip tetras. They are so cute!

I will look today at my LFS for some of the fish mentioned here. What would be a good size group for silvertip tetras?

Thanks! I love the look of silvertip tetras. They are so cute!

I will look today at my LFS for some of the fish mentioned here. What would be a good size group for silvertip tetras?
You want at least 10 -12 to get out their natural behaviour and that will reduced any chance of nipping dramatically also.

Good looking little fish the silvertips. I very nearly had some for one of my tanks :)

Silvertip (Hasemania nana) should be OK, just have a group of 8-9 to reduce possible fin nipping. This is an active fish, but a 30-inch (75 cm) length tank as here is OK.

The other suggestions in post #17 are also good, though you might want to forget the Rosy if you have Silvertips, as the Rosy is more sedate and with its long fins (males) more likely of attention.

Ok, thanks for that info.

I just returned from my LFS and I saw some other fish that interest me...

Its a no for the Harliquen rasbora's, because they are $4 per fish. (That's at least $20, which isn't in my budget)

What about pearl danios? Would they work? They seem to be pretty nice. I did observe some fin nipping, so how many should I have in a group?

(I also am considering a Golden Ram. I fell in love with this fish and they seemed sedate and pretty. Would these work?)

Also, @Byron, I have seen that something has completely destroyed my java fern and some of my Anancharis. What could be doing this? I will upload pictures later, if they are needed.

I just found a website called. "LiveAquaria.com". Does anyone have experience with this site? And if so, how did the fish arrive? What online site do you use personally?

If this is a good sight, many more fish would be available to me.
Sorry for all of the questions @Byron, but how many harlequin rasboras would be best for 1 tank? (As far as group size goes?)

What about pearl danios? Would they work? They seem to be pretty nice. I did observe some fin nipping, so how many should I have in a group?

Yes, species is Danio albolineatus. This fish possesses all the attributes of a good "aquarium fish." The scales reflect a beautiful mother of pearl hue under daylight and subdued full spectrum lighting. It will appear "washed out" in sparse tanks, so provide a group of these fish with a well-planted aquarium with a dark substrate and minimal light that can be further shaded by floating plants. Keep the tank covered, as the fish spend a lot of time near the surface and will sometimes jump. Gentle flow from the filter is adequate; these fish, like all the genus, prefer marginal waters that are calm and still. Females are rounder than males and slightly larger. A group of 7-8.

how many harlequin rasboras would be best for 1 tank? (As far as group size goes?)

Seven or eight. The Harlequin (Trigonostigma heteromorpha) is lovely, but the two closely related species are a tad smaller and in my view even nicer, at least the hengeli is. Trigonostigma hengeli as a brilliant copper blotch above the "axe" black marking. I would go with 9 for hengeli (or the similar T. espei).

(I also am considering a Golden Ram. I fell in love with this fish and they seemed sedate and pretty. Would these work?)

No. All varieties of the blue or common ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) must have warmer water, 80F is minimum, they are better at 82-85F. This is too warm for your neon tetras. And would be for some of the other fish being mentioned, depending.

I love the look of Harlequin Rasbora's, I found this website that sells them. Not sure what variation they are? https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+1065&pcatid=1065

I would say its a not to the pearl danios. (Just because they like a gentle filer flow)

I did also like the look of "X-Ray" Pristelle tetras. Would a group of 6 work well? https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+890+2747&pcatid=2747

I'm starting to like the look of Harlequin Rasbora's more and more. If the website I provided links to above looks like a good website for ordering fish online to you, then I will see when I could next afford to get 8 of these little guys.

@Byron, what about silvertip tetras?
Silver tips are very nippy.
Black neons, glo light tetra, von rio flame tetra, ember tetras, dwarf pencil fish, emperor tetra, id stay away from bigger tetras like skirts serpaes phantoms and congos and stay away from fast active tetra like blood fin and blue tetra.
Also medium tetra like lemon tetra or red eye tetra might be ok.

I love the look of Harlequin Rasbora's, I found this website that sells them. Not sure what variation they are? https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+1065&pcatid=1065
That's the standard harlequin rasbora, but their latin name is out of date, they are now Trigonostigma heteromorpha. I see they also sell the more expensive black harlequin rasbora, a colour developed by selective breeding - and they got the latin name for that right.

Agree with essjay. And utahfish too, I did suggest the Silvertips can sometimes be nippy. I always seem to be negative on members' suggestions for species, so I try to be less when I think I can. But if you want my personal opinion, I would not have Silvertips here because it might limit your options...you mentioned a ram earlier, and sedate fish like cichlids and gourami can be targets, so if you were looking into those... need to be alert.

You do seem to get caught up on the standard "six" for shoaling fish. We always seem to need minimum numbers, because so many aquarists, especially newcomers to the hobby, start out with really quite small tanks and minimum becomes basic. But in every species, the more there are above any "minimum" will mean improved health for the species. And it can avoid other problems. Fish have an expectation, we call it evolutionary instincts that are inherent to the fish, and putting six in a smallish aquarium can seriously impact the fish. Always have as many as the space allows for a species, and if that means fewer other species, so be it. Or look to smaller species that can be accommodated with respect to the shoal size. Twelve cories as an example will always be in better shape than six.

I think I'm going to save up to buy 6 Harlequin Rasbora's. (To start off with) This will cost my over $24, so it might take a while...

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this thread. I will post more questions, when/if they arise. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back