rummy-nose tetra

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aernympha

Fish Herder
Reaction score
rummy-nose tetra - hemigrammus rhodostomus

are they really yello with red noses??? like my fishie books has a picture of them also... i have see otehr with red noses with brown bodyand dark line down the middle

confsued.... i know there are dfferant speacie but is this sepies the yallow colourded one¬!!! :D

There are 3 species which are commonly called "Rummy Nose Tetras". The original, and probably the least colourful of the 3 is Hemigrammus rhodostomus. This is the one you see most often as it is from nearer the mouth of the Amazon where the water conditions vary a bit more - it is therefore the most robust of the 3.

The other 2 are Hemigrammus bleheri and Petitella georgiae. Both are from blackwater environs of the Rio Negro and it's tributaries North West of Manaus. These are more colourful, but more demanding as to water conditions, (like many blackwater fish). These two both go under the common name of "False Rummy Nose Tetra", but frequently the oiks in the LFS just call whatever they get "Rummy Noses".

They look alike, but the blackwater species have a much clearer pattern in the caudal fin, the stripes can be almost absent in H. rhosostomus. Also the size of the red patch on the head varies with the species, again H. rhodostomus usually has the smallest red hood, H. bleheri the largest.

Maybe this will shed some light :D
url]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back