Rummies and Betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mahmah

Reaction score
Hi all, I think this is the closest thread I could find for asking my question - but essentially wanted to know if 6 rummy nose tetras and 1 juvenile female betta is too much for my 40L tank (10 gallons i think)?
image.jpg

It is heavily planted and has dirted substrate (semi Walstad) as well as powerful HOB filter.

I guess my thinking is if the betta becomes too big for the bio load I can move her into planted five-gallon of her own. Also would it be too much to add a couple of ramshorn or mystery snails?

The bioload is fine imo; though not necessarily guidline wise

Guess it depends how well the female behaves herself, and you may be wanting to baffle the flow of the "powerful" filter for her benefit

Only issue I see other than that is it looks like the dimensions are too small for rummy nose, they are not the tiniest of tetra. Seriously Fish suggests a 3 foot tank, so you should try for that and use the excuse to get a bigger shoal, but I bet many people keep them in 2 foot tank, sorry if that is being a bad influence to tell you that :p

Swimming space is usually a bigger issue than bioload imo, at least when relatively tiny fish are concerned.

The bioload is fine imo; though not necessarily guidline wise

Guess it depends how well the female behaves herself, and you may be wanting to baffle the flow of the "powerful" filter for her benefit

Only issue I see other than that is it looks like the dimensions are too small for rummy nose, they are not the tiniest of tetra. Seriously Fish suggests a 3 foot tank, so you should try for that and use the excuse to get a bigger shoal, but I bet many people keep them in 2 foot tank, sorry if that is being a bad influence to tell you that :p

Swimming space is usually a bigger issue than bioload imo, at least when relatively tiny fish are concerned.

Thanks for your reply! Yeah I do need to take a look at lowering the setting on the filter. Do you recommend I return the fish? Is there a tetra that would do better in the same dimensions?

Oh no I’ll see about getting them into a bigger tank asap, thanks
Beautiful looking tank tho. The fish will just out grow it. Wanting more space to swim. I think something like the harlequin rasbora stays small enough for a 10 gallon. And I don’t think they need as much open swim space.

Do you know your water hardness?

I would be thinking about Ember Tetra if the water is soft, anything much larger will usually have a two foot footprint suggested. Some sites suggest 3 or 4 Pea Puffers for a 10 gallon, some would suggest a larger group, but also larger tank. There are a few other nano fish around; various Boraras species (Chilli Rasbora?), Celestial Pearl Danio, etc

Endler guppies for harder water perhaps?

I suspect the Betta while not minding the company will terrorize such small fish, and might not like flashy endlers (though in that case the hard water wouldnt be ideal for the Betta anyway

Do you know your water hardness?

I would be thinking about Ember Tetra if the water is soft, anything much larger will usually have a two foot footprint suggested. Some sites suggest 3 or 4 Pea Puffers for a 10 gallon, some would suggest a larger group, but also larger tank. There are a few other nano fish around; various Boraras species (Chilli Rasbora?), Celestial Pearl Danio, etc

Endler guppies for harder water perhaps?

I suspect the Betta while not minding the company will terrorize such small fish, and might not like flashy endlers (though in that case the hard water wouldnt be ideal for the Betta anyway
I checked my water hardness a couple of days ago - it is pretty soft. I think around 3 dGH - I'm sorry if I'm not using the nomenclature correctly, I'm still getting the hang of things :)

I did consider the ember tetras or the smaller rasboras, but I have yet to see them at my LFS, I'm a little hesitant to have them shipped from an online source. I feel kind of bad returning the rummies since they acclimated quite well and they're beautiful to watch, but if it means they'll be happier elsewhere that's more important!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back