Ruby barbs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
it's been about 6 months since I brought 5 young Ruby barbs. the ratio turned out as one male 4 females all have grown nicely and are in breeding condition I've never bread Ruby barbs before, so before lights go out tonight I'm going to set up a 2 foot breeding tank for one pair and hopefully get them to spawn in the next few days
male showing very nice coloration
IMG_7159 (640x480).jpg

Pretty! Make sure to keep us posted when/if you get fry. :wub:

Last edited:
Feed them 3-5 times a day for 2 weeks before you breed them so they can develop good quality gametes (eggs & sperm).

Do big daily water changes when feeding more to keep the tank clean.

Separate males and females for 5 days before putting them together to breed. This gives the fish a chance to build up eggs and sperm and makes them randy coz they haven't seen each other for a few days.

Then put a pr in the tank with a thin layer of gravel, a clump of Java Moss or some other plants, an air operated sponge filter and a heater. They usually breed the following morning.

Barbs are pretty easy to raise. Use a powdered fry food or liquid fry food and feed them 3-5 times a day. After 2 weeks start adding newly hatched brineshrimp. When they are all eating the brineshrimp, stop using the liquid fry food.

Do regular water changes to keep nutrients down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back