Rubbernose Plec.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mowbz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Im a bit worried about my Rubbernose.

He's not put on any weight or grown in the nearly 2 months ive had him. I see him eat (munches on the bogwood, eats multiwafers), and he has plently of space and hiding space. Ive even taken to putting the wafers where he hides to make sure the barbs arent taking them off him at lights out. I make sure i observe him eating something every day. (Apart from sundays, fast day)

He's only 2 inches. Seems very happy in himself, darts around the tank, he's normally stuck to the front when i get home from work and doesnt seem bothered by his tank mates.

Should i get him some friends (i have plently of stocking space in the 340) or should i put him in with the Corys in the 80 until he's gornw out a little?

I reckon the 80 could just about take him aswell until he's a little bigger, but any thoughts?

EDIT: Just noticed ive posted in General. :unsure: Mods, could you move this to Catfish when you see this? :) - Thanks, whoever shifted this for me :)

What exactly are you worried about?

The fact that it hasn't visibly increased in size in 2 months?

what is the flow/surface agitation like in your tank ? pretty sure they like fast flowing, highly oxygenated water. a bit cooler than average aswell i think.

What exactly are you worried about?

The fact that it hasn't visibly increased in size in 2 months?
Pretty much! Measure him wen he was on the tankfront when i got him, and did the same the otherday, not even 1mm. If its normal im not fussed, but all other fish ive kept have made some sort of increase over the same period, unless they were adults when i got them, and this guy is definitely a juvenile.

what is the flow/surface agitation like in your tank ? pretty sure they like fast flowing, highly oxygenated water. a bit cooler than average aswell i think.

Tonnes of flow and surface movement from filter and powerhead, tank at 24'c. From what ive found, the temp range isnt big, some say 20-24, some say 22-23, others say 19-25. Im at the greater end, but its by no means 4-5 over.

If it is eating and doesn't have sunken eyes and/or belly I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.

Only eight weeks ago it had a fairly traumatic life change involving being pulled out of a mountain stream, flown half way across the world and then plonked in a glass box.

I see your point!

Ive not kept plecs before, and appreciate theyre not the fastest of growers. Had to make some small changes to the tank to accomodate him (bit more flow on one side of the tank for him, etc.)

He's definately eating, he's happy to fight off any tigers that try to take his wafers away, and defends them like a slimline Spartan warrior!

Ill just keep an eye on his progress in the 4ft and see how he goes.

Cheers Mike!

Because it is eating properly, keep an eye out for parasites (internal ones). it usually takes a couple of months for them to manifest themselves, especially in wild caught species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back