RTS and Cichlids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aqua Master

Reaction score
Hey,
I owe a 35 gallon tank of which I've escaped to have plenty of little caves with rock structures. I really wanted to add African Cichlids to my tank. (Probably around 5 or 6, since that this is the recommended amount for my tank size). However, I really wanted to add some other fish of other species to the tank, to give it more life. So I don't know if can have RTS with the Cichlids or maybe a Rainbow Shark (though they get bigger than RTS)
any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Rift lake cichlids are very specific when it comes to husbandry. First, they need water that is on the hard side, second they are usually fairly feisty to downright nasty, third they need specific numbers/species...and in a 35g tank this is going to limit options considerably.

The RTS is a cyprinid occurring in very soft water, and notwithstanding it will manage in moderately hard water, it is not going to thrive. Its environmental needs are too different from those of the rift lake fish. It too has a well-documented behaviour problem. The Rainbow is sometimes less aggressive, but it is not deserving of the trouble being in with the rift lake fish.

Rift lake fish are best on their own, meaning only fish from the lake, and then very carefully thought through.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Rift lake cichlids are very specific when it comes to husbandry. First, they need water that is on the hard side, second they are usually fairly feisty to downright nasty, third they need specific numbers/species...and in a 35g tank this is going to limit options considerably.

The RTS is a cyprinid occurring in very soft water, and notwithstanding it will manage in moderately hard water, it is not going to thrive. Its environmental needs are too different from those of the rift lake fish. It too has a well-documented behaviour problem. The Rainbow is sometimes less aggressive, but it is not deserving of the trouble being in with the rift lake fish.

Rift lake fish are best on their own, meaning only fish from the lake, and then very carefully thought through.
Then I suppose that Plecos also cant live with Peacock cichlids?

Then I suppose that Plecos also cant live with Peacock cichlids?

It depends on how you define "live with." The short answer is no, because these fish have hugely different requirements with respect to water parameters, habitat, and their behaviours. To be humane to the fish, they should not be put together. [I have assumed by "plecos" you mean the South American species.]

They might "live" in the same tank, but one or both will be suffering because there is no middle ground that will really provide both with a good life. And that is where it becomes inhumane.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back