Royal Pleco. Will He Live?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CBBP

Fish Addict
Reaction score
SO I was wondering through the store today and I noticed they had a lot of rare plecos in. After a bit of searching i happened upon the two main contenders. Zebra and Royal. I really wanted Zebras but I did not have a tank up specifically for them now did I know much about them so I went with Royal. I kind of wanted a Clown too but meh.

Anyway. Will he be okay? I was worried about killing him so I turned off the co2 and aerated the water. then drip acclimated him for 2 hours and put him in. He appears to be bereahtign a bit heavily but he is also on the class and appears to be eating the algea. 0_o I just looked over while typing and he ate alot of algea. oh my!

I researched enough on him a few moths ago and got bog wood for him. what else should i worry about for him? I will probably get him some cucumber later. I have a nice little home set up under a big old rock supported by 3 other rocks. I hope he will choose that hiding spot instead of the cories rock.

How long was he in the LFS for?

Did they have wood in his tank there?

Panaques generally are pretty hardy but you need to be careful if it has sunken eyes and/or a skinny belly.

use courgette (zuchini) rather than cucumber, more nutritious and keep protein intake to a minimum, more like a treat rather than everyday food otherwise could get bloat.

get some pics up and can try and tell what kind of royal it is

i have a royal L190 plec had him in my tropical tank for a few years and after alot of people told me not to i put him into my cichlids tank where the
PH is obviously alot higher! he seems very happy and very fat.! they seem very hardy to me and ive not had one single problem with him!

K I will get a pic up soon as he comes out of hiding. I donlt think he had a belly problem. Defiantly no sunkin in eyes.

royalfish002.jpg

hard to tell from that photo but if i had to guess i would say L191, dull eyed royal

Most reactions

Back