Roundworms in community tank, best treatment options? (Update: got some levamisole, now what?)

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello. I have roundworms in my 55 gallon community tank. Stock is

Electric Blue Acara
Pygmy cories
bloodfin tetras
bristlenose pleco
Nerite snail

I am planning on rehoming the acara and tetras, and the pleco is going to the koi pond. I’m going to try to breed the cories (Pygmy Cory hastatus). I am anxious to get these guys treated so I can move on with my new plan for the tank, and also need to take the tetras and acara to my LFS as quickly as possible as the acara is eating them and they need to be separated quickly! Some Flubendazole medication I found is not safe for scaleless fish. I have heard of feeding garlic, is this safe? Does anyone know of any other options, or know of a specific medication or brand that has flubendazole as it’s main active ingredient? Any help is appreciated!

If the fish definitely have round worms and not flat worms, levamisole is a better medication. But I'm afraid i don't know which American meds contain this :(

If the fish definitely have round worms and not flat worms, levamisole is a better medication. But I'm afraid i don't know which American meds contain this :(
How can I tell between flat worms and roundworms? I was told from a photo of my acara that the fish have roundworms or threadworms.

@Colin_T , have a look...
Colin_T has actually been helping me in another thread! The other thread had a different purpose/title (determining if the acara was causing trouble) so I just made this one, as (even though Colin_T was being really great about answering my questions) I figured it would be easier to get more answers to my questions here! He said to treat them with a flubendazole medication, but the one I found isnt safe for my catfish. He also said Levamisole would work, but I wasn’t able to find any. This is what makes us think there are roundworms or thread worms
597C5B78-2FB0-4FC6-AD97-F2F57A7245D5.jpeg

Levamisole is sold in many feed stores, for cattle and sheep...do an internet search for it...I've no experience with it myself, though

Levamisole is sold in many feed stores, for cattle and sheep...do an internet search for it...I've no experience with it myself, though
Oh nice! I bet tractor supply would have it. Thanks!

Yep, I saw that one, too...but have no clue what method or how much you would dose...that would again be a question for Colin

Alright, I got some levamisole! It came in the mail today. I didn't want to spend $25 plus shipping for 10 times the amount of medication I needed, and luckily found some levamisole in 10 gram increments from Discus.com, so I bought 10 grams. I found this thread and figured I'd go off that!

According to the article Colin_T linked, I need to have 9 mg per gallon, my tank is 55 gallons, meaning I need 495 mg of powder.

According to the article, I need to do a water change, which I did this morning, treat the tank and leave the lights off, then 24 hours later do another water change and substrate vacuum and return the tank to normal, then 2 weeks later repeat, then a week or two later repeat one more time.

How does this sound? After that, am I good to take the acara and tetras to my LFS?

Well I feel dumb! The website I bought the medication from has instructions, I didn't see it cause I was looking on the phone rather than the laptop

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back