Rotting + Nipped Fins?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HalfTailedOwner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So if you didn't know already... my betta's fins ended up being ripped because of other fish my dad bought. We returned them and he seems to be doing fine. However, I noticed after a few weeks what appears to be fin rot? What exactly should I do about it?

Parameters are as follows:

10 gallon tank
78 F
180 gh
7.5 pH
0 Nitrates
20 Nitrates

Tank is cycled(?)
Has a air pump and filter

Also, excuse the image quality. He hides way too much and it's hard for me to take a picture of him.

What's the ammonia level in the water?

--------------------------
You need to medicate the tank with a broad spectrum fish medication that treats fungus, bacteria and protozoans. Then hope he survives.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

@Colin_T
The filter is less than 6 weeks old, so I won't clean it. Do you want me to increase the amount of air pumped in the tank as well?
What's with the calculation as well; is that to tell how much medication I add to the tank?

Do a 75% water change and treat with Seachem Kanaplex. It’s an antibiotic that treats both fungal and bacterial diseases. I’m doing the same thing for fin rot with my betta right now. Good luck!

Do you want me to increase the amount of air pumped in the tank as well?
What's with the calculation as well; is that to tell how much medication I add to the tank?
If you can increase the air a bit that usually helps. If you can't increase it any more than it already is, then just leave it as is.

The formula is to work out exactly how much water is in the tank, so you don't overdose the fish. Most tanks sold as x gallons, usually hold less than that.

My betta is currently still recovering from fin rot, but he is doing much better now. I tried a few different medication and these are the ones I had the best luck with; API Furan-2 and Seachem KanaPlex. Aquarium salt can also help as it stimulates the fish to create more slime coat. Good luck, I hope he gets better soon.

My betta is currently still recovering from fin rot, but he is doing much better now. I tried a few different medication and these are the ones I had the best luck with; API Furan-2 and Seachem KanaPlex. Aquarium salt can also help as it stimulates the fish to create more slime coat. Good luck, I hope he gets better soon.

How long has it been taking you for his fins to begin healing?

How long has it been taking you for his fins to begin healing?

I first noticed his fins looking tattered around the middle of April. I tried a few different remedies and some of them would slow the infection down, but none of them stopped it. Then I decided to try Kanaplex and Fruan-2 in the middle of June. He still has a very small portion of his lower tail fin that is still infected, but it has not become torn yet. I’m keeping up with it by doing frequent water changes and adding small portions of aquarium salt to his water. I can tell it’s infected because it is milky white in color while the rest of his fins are red and the new growth is clear.
When the infection leaves the fin you will start to see new growth in a matter of days. The new growth is easy to see because it is clear.
Sorry about the long answer. I hope this helps

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back