Rosy Barb nipping at other barbs only

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snowyangel

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
just became an american *play dramatic music*
Just starting today one of my fattest rosy barbs has starting nibbling/ attacking only my other 3 barbs. She doesn't even nibble at my guppies, which u think she would do. She's well feed and water changes happen twice a week. Should i add another barb perhaps? possibly a male?She even attacks the barb that is the same size as her(i have 1 large one and 2 small ones). I've had these barbs together for months now and non of them have behaved aggressive towards each other. Please help. Some of their colours are fading from stress.

Introducing something to think about such as adding a few more barbs would help you... i think a few more barbs would do the trick... to get the best possible fish in the best condition you will need it fresh live foods... well that what i gathered over my years of fish keeping... good luck! :kana:

Sounds like maybe she wants to breed! A couple more similaly sized B. conchonius, (Rosy Barb), would certainly deflect attention, watch your stocking level though.

Do you know what sex they all are - she obviously sounds like a female, what about the others?

I have 2 big females(you can view them at members aquariums pics), 1 small female and 1 small male. They eat sooo much. I have 5 live plants but they hardly nip at them. They eat the algae and off the bottom constantly(which is to be expected). When i do feed them, they sound like piranhas literally, lol. Also when i've been vaccuming in there one barb(im guessing the one thats causing the trouble) sometimes starts nibbling at me(doesn't hurt, kind of tickles)! I would hate to see them eat when they're pregnant! I'm just confused about. I haven't checked them today but i will. Do i have a killer fish??(lol, j/k)

Can't say I've noticed females getting extra spots, (barb females). B. conchonius is one of the easiest egg layers to breed though, and if she has got very fat, it could easily be that she is full of eggs, and wants to spawn.

If the male you've got is much smaller, then he probably is a little intimidated, and the big female is getting irritable with them. Strikes me thus as it is "new" behaviour - if she'd always been aggresive - well, then you've got a bad one - but that is not the case.

Just an idea - I've always found conchonius to be very mild mannered. I had some wild caught ones once, 4", stunning colours, never hurt a fly.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back