April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Eater_Ruh

Reaction score
Okay so I have 4 females and one male in a tank and Iā€™ve been trying to look for breeding online there isnā€™t any helpful advice
1. What do rosy barbs eggs look like?
2.where do they lay them?
3.does the female lay the eggs straight after sheā€™s mated ?
4.what does it mean having the water few inches deep?Like a full tank? Or fill it half full?With little water?

1. They are just very small, clearish spheres.
2. They are eggs scatterers, mine spawned among floating plants and the eggs sank to the bottom of the tank. I had a layer of marbles on the bottom and a spawning mop, to ensure the parents wouldn't eat them. The parents were removed when the spawning had finished.
3. The male will fertilize the eggs as they are released. This goes on for a few hours.
4. It means not to have the tank full, only fill it part of the way. I didn't bother with this, the tank was full when mine spawned.

The reason people say to lower the tank water is for rearing the fry, less water means less space to swim so it's easier for them to find food and decreasing the chance of starvation

Shallow water actually helps trigger them to spawn. They prefer it that way. They have been known to breed in water that is only a few inches deep. Which is why a smaller tank is best for breeding, I did it in a 10 gallon. But yes, it helps with that too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back