Ropefish and Geophagus Parnaibae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I just bought some chiclid pellets but he is not eating them when they sink is this bad

Did the tank he came from seem healthy? He looks well fed, maybe a bit stressed from the move?

Could you find out what he was fed on previously?

Wills

Did the tank he came from seem healthy? He looks well fed, maybe a bit stressed from the move?

Could you find out what he was fed on previously?

Wills
I couldn't see what the tank was like as prev owner was sheilding covid, I think he's eaten a little bit know as I fed him with my new fish! 2 clown loach 2 firemouths as they now seem to get along well

The man in the shop said the clowns clean about aswell as the pictus they had there but they where a bit coulerfull so I chose them for cleaning

Clown Loaches get very big, they are slow growing but are likely to make 20cm + they should also be kept in groups of at least 5. So they need a very large tank. Water wise you are probably ok, maybe a little too hard.

Firemouths are not a bad choice for the rope fish and the Geophagus but are likely to be more problematic for the Pearl Gourami. These are likely to be much more aggressive than either the Geo or the Gourami.

Please research your fish before you buy them, there is so much information on the internet there is no excuse not to. If you are thinking of buying a fish ask a question here rather than accept what the sales person in the shop is telling you.

I mean its your choice but we are here to try and help

@essjay please can you help decipher this :) I think it is very hard water right?

412.25 mg/l (or parts per million):Calcium Carbonate
164.9 mg/l (or parts per million):Calcium
28.693 °C:Degrees Clark
41.225 °F:Degrees French
23.416 °dH:Degrees German
4.123 mmol/l:Millimoles
The 2 figures we need are 412.25 ppm (mg/l calcium carbonate) and 23.416 German degrees aka dH. It is very hard water.

I've just noticed clown loaches mentioned - not only are they large growing shoaling fish, they are also soft water fish. Their maximum quoted hardness on Seriously Fish is 215 ppm, and the hardness in that table is double the max for clown loaches. it's also far too hard for firemouths.

I don't live near the shop so it could be different. Sometimes the geo chases the fire but then they stick with the gouramis as they are similar size

Can you tell us what the hardness of your tap water is please. Look on your water company's website. If Wills found the hardness of that shop, yours should be available as well.

If you check the Anglican Water website you should be able to find it - they have a specific section for fish keeping.

For some reason I hadnt twigged there was a dH reading on there just missed it - if your home water is similar you may need to think about what to do as based on the shops post code its going to be challenging.

Wills

If you check the Anglican Water website you should be able to find it - they have a specific section for fish keeping.

For some reason I hadnt twigged there was a dH reading on there just missed it - if your home water is similar you may need to think about what to do as based on the shops post code its going to be challenging.

Wills
I put in my postcode and it says this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200802-080407.png
    Screenshot_20200802-080407.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 103
Your water company is Anglian Water isn't it?

I have seen this before with a different water company so I used a nearby postcode and that worked. I look for things like very nearby Spar shops, newsagents, hairdressers etc on yell.com and use the postcode from yell.

My mum has said it's quite hard as it is next to the sea

Being next to the sea does not cause hard water. Redcar, for example, has soft water and that's on the coast. Hard water occurs where the water flows over limestone or chalk rocks at some point between falling as rain and coming out of the tap.

The strip of coastline from Winterton-on-Sea through Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft down as far as Aldeburgh then inland as far as Rickinghall comes under Essex & Suffolk Water. Do you live in this strip?

Edit to add screenshot of the area covered by Essex & Suffolk Water

Essex & Suffolk Water.jpg

Being next to the sea does not cause hard water. Redcar, for example, has soft water and that's on the coast. Hard water occurs where the water flows over limestone or chalk rocks at some point between falling as rain and coming out of the tap. The strip of coastline from Winterton-on-Sea through Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft down as far as Aldeburgh then inland as far as Rickinghall comes under Essex & Suffolk Water. Do you live in this strip?
I live in Suffolk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back