Rope fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sunscream1488

Reaction score
Just got a rope fish 2 days ago and he seems happy, but doing alot of swimming and didn't know if this is normal behavior for them? He seems happy and very active but thought they usually just find a place to hide and stay there kinda like my bichir does? I have a video but won't let me send it. He just swims around the tank most of the day. I have tons of hiding places , plants , caves, wood, etc.
e9d6337aee836eb116ae15856e6715df.jpg
ec0aba2cab240b1dd43c1f53456ccb71.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
4f4ded0698bc8801235dcdd137976ce3.jpg
9532808f6939c2cd53d4cb1602f3dce6.jpg
0d0a2f8e2d6b20976020d49c3d45f9c2.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Yes, that is very normal for a rope fish to swim a lot. How big is your tank? (Gallons)

And it is normal for a new fish to hide in and around plants/driftwood, just because they are getting used to their surroundings. :)

Yes, that is very normal for a rope fish to swim a lot. How big is your tank? (Gallons)

And it is normal for a new fish to hide in and around plants/driftwood, just because they are getting used to their surroundings. :)
Hey, thank you! I thought he was doing fine but just wanted to make sure this was normal behavior. The tank is 125 gallon and been running for 2.5 years. I have a ornate bichir in there that I've had for about 3.5 years and he does not like this new fish, he already bite him for being in his area. Lol
f9f4fefb341efd439db3ae9aeaaa8df9.jpg

Peaceful fish, they like the company of other Rope fish. They grow 1' 3" - is your tank big enough? They also need live carnivorous food rather than dried. So you really need a 50 gallon tank or larger. Your pictures are so cute. The look that one fish in the cave is giving him is like "what the he^^ is that??? I have two Dojo Loach that looks nearly identical but only grows to about 4" (I question that because mine are 4" and appear to still be growing but I don't expect them to get to 1'. The two sleep next to each other (or on top of each other - good friends).

That's a different looking fish. Don't think I've ever heard of it or seen one. Are they predatory ? He has a hungry look in his eye. Cool though.
He's related to the Bichir, I have and ornate bichir in my tank too. They're polyptrae. They have lungs and gills and can live outside of the tank for hours. This is a rope or Reed fish and I'll attach a picture of my Bichir. He is predatory and will eat anything that will fit in his mouth. My bichir is really fat, they usually areant that fat but he eats alot and just lays around all day. I guess anyone would get fat if they did that though [emoji28]
956beafe5902074b9981205abb0cde0f.jpg

Just saw the picture - your tank is plenty big enough wow.
Thanks and yeah but I'm hoping he will take to carnivore pellets like my bichir did, if not then I feed my other fish raw shrimp, flake food and if I need to then I'll go buy some worms. Lol
db81864c06bf2c87ea33efd8d302e381.jpg

Reminds me of snakes. Not for me! Very cool looking tank, rope fish, and Bichir though!

Thanks and yeah but I'm hoping he will take to carnivore pellets like my bichir did, if not then I feed my other fish raw shrimp, flake food and if I need to then I'll go buy some worms. Lol
db81864c06bf2c87ea33efd8d302e381.jpg

Wow! That tank is stunning! I also love the Bichir, so unique! :)

Wow! That tank is stunning! I also love the Bichir, so unique! :)
Thank you! I can never get enough compliments on my tank lol. Took a lot of time and money so makes it worth it that other people love it too. I bought that Bichir as a "baby" he was only about a inch and a half long I think and 3 and a half years later he's 12 inches long and very healthy. I'm hoping my rope fish can be that healthy too! Just maybe not as fat! [emoji23]

That is an awesome aquarium. Spectacular. I researched the rope fish and it appears you have the perfect set up. As for his food, the source I read says that chopped earthworms are liked by them. It seems they locate food mostly by smell. That Bichir is awesome. You have a very nice aquarium and certainly very nice fish.

It's normal they are worse than kids they never settle if they do settle your lucky if it's 5 minutes I have two independent they drive me insane watching them

Love the tank! I’ve been wanting 125G but no space for it. Yours is beautiful!

Love the tank! I’ve been wanting 125G but no space for it. Yours is beautiful!
That's my dream. A six foot tank. Totally awesome. I've seen several pictures of people's 125's on this forum and every one is different and every one is awesome and great. Must be something about the size. You can really replicate nature so much better with more room.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back