Rooting roses in fishtank.

Horsesarefun

Reaction score
I have several different plants growing in my tanks and I know Pothos you need to root separately first because the stems of a fresh-cut plant can leak toxins. I have rose cuttings I was trying to root in water. It requires the water to be changed every 3 days or so. I'm assuming because it sucks all the nutrients out of the water. Has anyone rooted roses, or even mini roses in a fish tank before? I don't want to kill my fish but I need to be careful as I have dogs and try to stick with plants that are not toxic to dogs, which are few. The pothos plant is up high.

Sgooosh

Fish Connoisseur
Tank of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I have several different plants growing in my tanks and I know Pothos you need to root separately first because the stems of a fresh-cut plant can leak toxins. I have rose cuttings I was trying to root in water. It requires the water to be changed every 3 days or so. I'm assuming because it sucks all the nutrients out of the water. Has anyone rooted roses, or even mini roses in a fish tank before? I don't want to kill my fish but I need to be careful as I have dogs and try to stick with plants that are not toxic to dogs, which are few. The pothos plant is up high.
i don't think it's worth it and it grows very slowly, one time i cut a rose and rooted it in water, and for like a few months nothing happened
some things that i think might work:
monstera deliciosa
other philodendrons
i also think that anything should be rooted before putting it in a fish tank.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
roses don't do well with wet feet, they rot and are not suited to riparian settings.

Most reactions