Rookie Fishkeeper 👋🐟

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So excited to be here! I have had a few tanks over the years. I say rookie cuz this is the first one where I am educating myself on all things fish! All of my previous tanks were 40 gallon and only housed a couple of Oscars. I now have a 75gal that I have had a few years now. My 2 Oscars died (shocking I know, poor things). So I cleaned the tank and replaced everything. I let it run empty for a few weeks. On August 8th I started cycling it (with fish). I purchased 2 Dojo Loaches (pet store recommendation) and they are doing great. So today I went to Petco to return something and of course I had to check out the fish. I wasn't planning on purchasing anything just window shopping. I saw this one tank that had some various fish swimming around and there he was. A single Dojo, stuck to the side of the glass frozen in terror. After all of the research that I have done, I knew how horribly miserable he was. I felt soooooo bad that I had to bring him home. After acclimating he entered his new home. Within 10 to 15 minutes, he was part of the crew, doing what Dojos do. I am so happy to see him happy!! Sorry for the long post but I just had to share my excitement!! I love my Dojos!!!

Welcome to TFF. Hope you enjoy it here, learn a lot, and help others. Be sure to vote in our present Pet of the Month poll. Hope you enter your tank in a future TOTM contest, and your Loaches in a future Fish of the Month contest.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Monitor the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water. New tanks can have ammonia and nitrite readings that will kill fish. The more fish and fish food in the tank, the higher the levels and more damage that is done to the fish.

In a new tank that is getting a fish in cycle (fish live in the tank while the filters develop), you should only feed the fish 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. You should also do a 75% water change any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Don't clean the filter for the first 2 months unless the flow slows down. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of aquarium water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

Thanks so much for dropping some knowledge on me! I have been testing the water about every 2 days. Today ammonia was .25 as was the nitrite, nitrate was 5, ph was 7.2 and the temp was 76°. I also added Prime, Stability and API Stress Coat after adding the Dojo. Tomorrow I am going to do a partial water change along with vacuuming the gravel. So much work but so much fun!! I am soooooooooo enjoying this journey!😁

when the filter has established you will only have to do water changes about once a week, unless the tank is overstocked or you put heaps of food in it.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I chose the 75gal tank cuz from what I understand, the bigger one's are easier to maintain. However, I also have a 10gal tank in storage that I am thinking about setting up.

Bigger tanks aren't any easier to maintain, but the larger water volume means water quality remains more stable for longer and there is less chance of something going wrong overnight.

Plus they give you more option for fish :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Monitor the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water. New tanks can have ammonia and nitrite readings that will kill fish. The more fish and fish food in the tank, the higher the levels and more damage that is done to the fish.

In a new tank that is getting a fish in cycle (fish live in the tank while the filters develop), you should only feed the fish 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. You should also do a 75% water change any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Don't clean the filter for the first 2 months unless the flow slows down. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of aquarium water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.
Okay so I have been reading ALOT and it seems that some say it's okay to put the new water from the tap as long as you condition the tank first dosing the number of gallons in the tank. I have also read the opposite of that... which one is true? Also, how do I treat hard water? Another opposites I've read is lights on or off at night? And plants... well let's just say I don't have a single clue and the jury is still out on if I even want one.😵‍💫😆 Anyways, thanks for helping me out! I appreciate you and this community!! #dojos

Okay so I have been reading ALOT and it seems that some say it's okay to put the new water from the tap as long as you condition the tank first dosing the number of gallons in the tank. I have also read the opposite of that... which one is true? Also, how do I treat hard water? Another opposites I've read is lights on or off at night? And plants... well let's just say I don't have a single clue and the jury is still out on if I even want one.😵‍💫😆 Anyways, thanks for helping me out! I appreciate you and this community!! #dojos
Oh and if I need to post this elsewhere, please let me know thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back