Rocks in fish tanks?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Bree2000

Reaction score
Hi! ā˜ŗļø I love the look of rocks in a fish tank. My question is do you need to get specific ones for a tank? I have some outside (I donā€™t know is there is different types of rocks? Haha) but donā€™t want to hurt my fish. Is there a way to make rocks Dad or are you better off buying specific ones for tanks? Thanks so much! I will get a photo tomorrow if it will be help ful. Any advice is much appreciated ā˜ŗļø

Yes, there are different types of rock :) (Did they not teach you any geology in school !? Not even the basics, like igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic !?)

Pretty much all rocks, unless they have metallic veins in them are safe, BUT some will dissolve and make your water harder and more alkaline, which would be no good if you have soft water fish, so it's very important that you know what sort of rocks they are.

Once you have the right kind of rock, all they need is a good scrub in some really hot water to be ready for your tank.

I concur with fluttermoth. Calcareous rocks (composed of limestone, marble, lava, dolomite, aragonite; along with coral and shells) are OK with hard water fish like African Rift Lake cichlids and livebearers, but not soft water species. Aside from this, the safest rocks are what is termed river rock; these rocks of varying sizes can be purchased in landscape supply places for very little cost. These are very effective in stream and river scapes, such as those for livebearers, loaches, some of the barbs.

Hi! ā˜ŗļø I love the look of rocks in a fish tank. My question is do you need to get specific ones for a tank? I have some outside (I donā€™t know is there is different types of rocks? Haha) but donā€™t want to hurt my fish. Is there a way to make rocks Dad or are you better off buying specific ones for tanks? Thanks so much! I will get a photo tomorrow if it will be help ful. Any advice is much appreciated ā˜ŗļø

Rocks in my view are always a nice addition to a tank, but you might also care to have a look at my post on the Fluval Roma 200 renovation project.

I have received numerous compliments on my DIY rock work and people have asked for explanations and more details... It isn't actually putting rocks in the tank as objects, but it is creating a rocky effect around the sides of the tank.

Trev

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back