Rocks For Use In The Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Sorry to bring this topic up again, but I was wondering why calcium is bad for FreshWater Fish ?? :blink: does it harm them in a longterm period or something??

I think I've mentioned somewere in the forums that I have dead corals inside both of my freshwater tanks, just so you know we collected them from the beach, they were already dead and dry.

From pics I've seen I think (not completly sure) that they are either "pineapple coral" or "open brain coral" or at least they look like that, now, they have been inside the tanks for about 6 weeks, and there is also this type of a dead "live rock" (not sure what it is) :p which has been at the tank for over a year. I didn't do the vinegar test btw (I only boiled them before placing them in the tanks) but I will do it this week cause I have to buy it first.

So, should I remove them even though there hasn't been any troubles with the fish?? (that I'm aware of that is)

Calcium changes the gH, kH and pH as it breaks down.

I'm no chemist and really don't understand the interaction of kH, gH etc but a stable enviroment is the key to succesfull fishkeeping, rather than an enviroment thats is changing.

you may wish to read another topic of mine the mods deemed worthy of pinning
What's in your water? and how to deal with it

Paul_MTS said:
Thought i might mention Savanna Rocks. It's quite a new thing i think and a shop can choice to get in there stand of a selection of choosen rocks, there's lots on interesting ones in there, big and small types.

Unfortuanately they can be expensive our boss tagged them up at work for £2.95 per kg, which is ok from some of the smaller ones but once a customer starts picking out large chunks it gets expensive, we had 1 bloke spend £55 on a load of rocks.

Savannah Rocks
[snapback]707269[/snapback]​

Looking at the site I think I bought some 'Pagoda rock'. It was described as elephant rock form the Namib desert.... I assumed as it sold by an LFS that it was fine and inert - I'm noe really worried as it is described as a sandstone with iron. Althoug I have been testing for Iron anyway in my planted tank and nothing has been showing (in fact I've been dosing the stuff). Can I assume the rock is safe?

have you done the acid test on it?
if you could post a pic I could proberbly help you a bit more.

Any thoughts on emerald ore? I bought a bag of raw uncut emeralds on ebay and have it tossed on top of my gravel.

it all depends what sedimentary rock the emeralds are in
personally I'd get the emeralds cleaned up and set in some rings or necklace
then sell them for shead loads of cash

what about rocks found on the beach? if they are boiled first? Im not sure what kind they are, but they washed up...they are really smooth and have some interesting coloration...

firstly, you need to be sure that you can leagally remove them from the beach(for all you know it could be a protected beach).

then it would really depend on the rock(s) in question, but if you follow the acid test and wash them thouroughly, I see no reason not to.

The-Wolf said:
firstly, you need to be sure that you can leagally remove them from the beach(for all you know it could be a protected beach).

then it would really depend on the rock(s) in question, but if you follow the acid test and wash them thouroughly, I see no reason not to.
[snapback]861404[/snapback]​

Yeah, I didnt get any because I didnt know if I could...and I probably wont get any because I was on vacation when I saw them...I just thought they would look good in an aquarium..

this is a comment and i guess will help people with rock trouble. Usually in rocks iron will be red or warm colors most of the time. the iron rusts and combined with other things with turn different colors. Alot of rocks aorund my are redish on the outside or redish on the in side (mostly sandstone). oh and i dont mean to try to show of or get any glory i just thought this would help :D

The-Wolf said:
have you done the acid test on it?
if you could post a pic I could proberbly help you a bit more.
[snapback]855362[/snapback]​

Wolf

I poured a load of white vinegar onto the rock and there was no fizzing at all. The rock in question looks like this

eba00526813f00000002.jpg

I emailed Savanna rocks and they replied with:
"All our rock is tested in South Africa to see if it is safe for fish and will not alter the Ph. Aswell as testing the rock for the first tests we also spot test again and I carry out tests myself and have never found this rock to alter the Ph. Elephant skin is the same rock make up as as Pagoda stone but just been eroded in a different manner, and this rock again has been sold to the Aquatic market for many years with no problems. I am 100% sure this rock is perfectly safe for your aquarium, but if you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help you. I hope this information helps,"

Seems OK but I just can't help thinking there may be issues as it definately looks very sandstoney and iron rich...

updated to add Jasper

Hi I bought these Rocks yesterday for my new tank, they are from B & Q, I`ve heard the River Cobbles are ok but after another look these maybe slightly different some of them were definately labelled River Cobbles but some were from another basket (described as Long-something ??) , after cleaning them up there are lines of sediment in the rocks and small metallic particles can be seen under the light.

Not a Great Picture I know but do you think will be ok ?

Any help appreciated
Nick

Rocks Pic Here

I have used similar in my tank before with no adverse effects

Most reactions

trending

Back