Rocks For Use In The Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
What about amythest? I have a whole lot of it that isn't pure crystal wouuld it be ok. I went to a rock museum and they said that it was crushed amethyst crystal with some other kind of rock mixed in with it. It's very beautiful and I have a ton of it lying around. would this be ok?

Amethyst is a form of quartz, but it also contains Manganese and Iron.(this is what gives it the pale lilac to deep purple colours) darker the colour the more iron contained in it.
Personally I'd sell all you have on ebay, for making jewlery, and make loads of cash.

So the iron means that it's no good for fish right. Like I said it is very low quality crystal I'd have to dig very deep to get to the good stuff and I simply don't have the funds to do this right now. Man I had this vision of a bright purple tank and now it's smashed into little pieces. Oh well it probably would have been a %*^@& to clean anyway. Thanks for the input wolf

Ok then if I can't use amethys can I use Lapis. I don't really know anything about the stone and I don't have a bunch of it lying around so it would be much more expensive but it would be very pretty.\

forget it I guess i'll just use regular gravel or sand. :sad:

i just saw some rocks @ local hware store called flag stone ? it looks like slate but it is yellowish ? would this be safe to use in cichlid tank?

also there are rocks i think is pumis but it is called feather rock? is this ok to use if i smoth it out a little so its not so sharp?

torrean
sorry, Lapis lazuli contains the minerals calcite, pyrite, and sodalite.
it would be the calcite that woul;d make it unsafe for aquariums.

qjim206
flagstone would be the same as slate. you just need to be sure there are no iron or other metal veins running through it.

Flagstone is simply a term for any thin quaried stone. Unfortunately Vinegar wont do anything to show you metals held within the rock, I would recomend washing it VEry Very well, then useing your got given chemical receptors to manualy detect any metalic elements :p

Here is one not sure if you would know but what about clay? u can buy it in stores just mold and let dry or put in oven.you can get just tera cotta like the planters. would this be ok? and how would you treat before input in to tank?

fired, unglazed, terracotta pots anre fine for use in aquariums.

Thought i might mention Savanna Rocks. It's quite a new thing i think and a shop can choice to get in there stand of a selection of choosen rocks, there's lots on interesting ones in there, big and small types.

Unfortuanately they can be expensive our boss tagged them up at work for £2.95 per kg, which is ok from some of the smaller ones but once a customer starts picking out large chunks it gets expensive, we had 1 bloke spend £55 on a load of rocks.

Savannah Rocks

I wouldn't know for sure on that one :dunno:

Iron is found in many things as it is one of the basic elements that make up our universe. It is iron ore that could be a problem, rather than trace amounts of iron particles.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back