Rocks For Use In The Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
well no.4 has fools gold I think...so its a no lol and number 19 is granite I'm pretty sure, and the ridges are hard just like the rest of the rock...but on the underside theres this very red colour...i can take a pic if needed?

a pic of the underside could be helpfull for #19
definatly a no for #4 then.

ok...and here is a pic of some slate chunks I found,(which you noted that shouldnt be used if they have veins of orange/iron) can i just break off those pieces and still use the slate?
0030.jpg

0031.jpg

0034.jpg

thanks for your help

ok the #19 rock.
the red appears to be oxidised iron. as this is a process produced under volcanic action it should be safe as the iron will no longer leech out.

yes, if you can get rid of the veins of iron from the slate it will be ok to use.

sure would
a pH of 7.4 or above is ideal for keeping the apple snails shell in top notch.

Couple rocks I'm curious about:
1) Red Shale - Now I know this is just red clay that's been pressed to a sedimetary rock, but red tends to equal oxides of iron. I've been using this in several planted tanks. Figure I ought to be worried? Plants seem to be doing fine. Mostly I ask because this is the single most common rock there is where I am. Any construction site has to dispose of tons of it.

2) Lapiderite - Beautiful rock - White/grey matrix with hordes of tiny silvery purple microcystals all over it. Unfortunately, at a guess I would say it was a calcium based rock with mica and amethyst inclusions, but I have not been able to find it on the wb and I haven't managed to unearth my minerals book lately.

3) Mica - Just thin sheets of silicon oxides, nu? Should be ok?

Couple rocks I'm curious about:
1) Red Shale -
2) Lapiderite -
3) Mica -
1 ) you are correct the red is from ferric oxide. in a heavily planted tank the plants should use up the Fe before it has a detrimental effect on the fish.
2 ) do you mean Labradorite? if so it is a plagioclase feldspar and is therfor unsuitable for long term aquatic use.
3 ) micas are complex hydrous potassium-aluminium silicate minerals. There are more than 20 chemically distinct mica types with considerable variance in geologic occurance, but all have essentially the same crystal structure. none of them are suitable for use in aquariums

What about a fine quarts or silicate sand? would that be ok for an ADF?
quart is ok, as is silica sand.

I've seen people use them as dividers in newt terrariums that half water half land, so I guess it's cool, because newts are a little more sensitive than fish.

what about shale?
that really depends on the kind of shale
obviously Bituminous shale and Oil shale are not going to be good
whereas generally speaking Slate, Siltstone and Mudstone are ok, dependant on the other impurities in it.

I bought my gravel (multi coloured) from an LFS, is it likely to harden the water or will it be made from something inert?

I'm using R/O water exclusively now but don't want to waste my time if the rocks/gravel I have are hardening the water anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back