Rock Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jamowens

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Any info on these just seen them in the local aquarium shop Frisby's , are they ok with smaller fish or fry thanks

Attachments

• IMG_19929520234825.jpeg
    IMG_19929520234825.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 84
I cant find any fresh water shrimp called "rock shrimp" as a common name, its rostrum looks very similar to amano or bamboo shrimp. Its very hard to see from the picture but does the shrimp have filter nets like bamboo shrimp do, or does it have small nippers like amano shrimp do?
I believe the shrimp in your photo might be called a Mountain Rock Shrimp, but from the quick searches I have done for information on them there isn't much available.
If it is the species I think it is then it probably wont be able to breed successfully in fresh water, their young have a brackish stage in their early life cycle, they should be pretty fish safe but I cant guarantee that they would never predate on the odd small fry.

It says Rock (aka Bamboo ) Shrimp on the label it has filters

Attachments

• 20140509_123158_14282-1.jpg
    20140509_123158_14282-1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 81
Most filter feeder shrimp are fine with fish, provided the fish leave them alone and the shrimp has a nice safe place with plenty of water movement to wave their fans in and feed.
I have a very similar shrimp called a Riffle shrimp in my tanks, and I love watching them wiffle in the water.

Be aware that its hard to feed this shrimp in a small aqarium e.g. less than 200 litres as they are a filter feed they need a well planted and stocked tank to get sufficient food. They will pick up food off the substrate with their fanned claws if they can't filter feed this causes damage to their filter fans that can't be healed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back