Rob's 450L oscar aquarium - from North London to the Amazon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The pot should be removed as should the 'stuff' around the roots. I find a dressmaking pin useful for removing all the 'stuff' from the crevices between the roots.

If the roots are spread out and buried in the substrate that should be enough. But sometimes plants arrive with trimmed roots. If the plant won't stay in the substrate, a few pebbles around the stem should hold the plant secure until it has grow enough root system to stay there once the pebbles are removed.

Plants such as Java fern and anubias need to be attached to decor. They have 3 parts - leaves, thin roots and a thick root-like rhizome which has the leaves growing out of one side and the roots from the opposite side. The roots should be spread out across the decor and the rhizome can be held tightly with sewing thread, or fishing line or even a zip tie. Or it can be glued using cyanoacrylate superglue, no other type of glue. I tie mine with sewing thread but members who use glue report the gel type is better as it stays where you put it, but runs from the liquid type go white when under water. These plants soon attach themselves to the decor like ivy does to a building.

In go the OB Peacock Cichlids
IMG_1047.jpg

And a Red Tail Black Shark
IMG_1048.jpg

Settling in nicely!
IMG_1054.jpg

Looks good will colour up nicely :) You might keep running into aggression issues until your group is large enough - they need a pecking order to spread out the aggression, as you get more in the tank make sure you add them in bigger groups too. I'd try getting to 10-12 quite soon and then add a few others to get to about 15-18 fish.

The hybrids like Dragon Bloods and OB's (basically anything with a cool name) are a bit unpredictable but usually on the aggressive side of Peacocks so I'd make sure you stick to that side of things now and avoid some of the more timid species.

Thanks this is great advice.

This lot seem to be ok so far. There's the odd bit of chasing but nothing like before, which was relentless and really stressful to watch!

I'll go for about 5 next time (more if finances permit) but I'm entirely dependent on what my local fish store can get.

I want to support this new business as much as I can and I'm naturally suspicious of ordering online. Does anyone do this and are there any recommended UK suppliers?

Thanks this is great advice.

This lot seem to be ok so far. There's the odd bit of chasing but nothing like before, which was relentless and really stressful to watch!

I'll go for about 5 next time (more if finances permit) but I'm entirely dependent on what my local fish store can get.

I want to support this new business as much as I can and I'm naturally suspicious of ordering online. Does anyone do this and are there any recommended UK suppliers?
No worries :) I know what its like with an aggressive fish - one tip to have with these (and I'm going to do this with my Mbuna) is have a divider to hand and an easy way to insert it into the tank - I'm going to leave a tactical gap in my rocks to allow me to slide it in place. Just a piece of egg crate or a mesh panel so the filter can still flow through it but the individual can be housed for a few days in a 8 - 10 inch bit of the tank until I can get them to a shop, it happens with all cichlids (American and African) but I think especially with Peacocks its worth doing.

I'm not sure what the situation is like in London, but I'm a bit blessed in Yorkshire as we have Kevs Rifts and Tonys African Cichlids. I believe both do postage, though not 100% on Kevs Rifts. Worth checking their websites out though.

Wills

No worries :) I know what its like with an aggressive fish - one tip to have with these (and I'm going to do this with my Mbuna) is have a divider to hand and an easy way to insert it into the tank - I'm going to leave a tactical gap in my rocks to allow me to slide it in place. Just a piece of egg crate or a mesh panel so the filter can still flow through it but the individual can be housed for a few days in a 8 - 10 inch bit of the tank until I can get them to a shop, it happens with all cichlids (American and African) but I think especially with Peacocks its worth doing.

I'm not sure what the situation is like in London, but I'm a bit blessed in Yorkshire as we have Kevs Rifts and Tonys African Cichlids. I believe both do postage, though not 100% on Kevs Rifts. Worth checking their websites out though.

Wills

I'm very lucky as this place just opened on my doorstep and they're open 12 hours a day:

Good call on the divider! I have a 450L Juwel and am a bit useless on the DIY front. :oops:

Is there an official one for sale anywhere or can you recommend anything?

I'm very lucky as this place just opened on my doorstep and they're open 12 hours a day:

Good call on the divider! I have a 450L Juwel and am a bit useless on the DIY front. :oops:

Is there an official one for sale anywhere or can you recommend anything?
They look good :) followed by the right people on Instagram too which is a good sign!

For the divider search on ebay or etsy there are a few people that do custom order ones but oyu just need a couple of these kind of things ebay link and some egg crate or mesh like this ebay link 2

Or just search for custom aquarium divider - there are a few people with 3D printers and laser cutters out there making all kinds of things for aquariums now, often the niche things the bigger manufacturers don't think of :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In go the latest pair, 1 x Aulonocara Nyassae Peacock and 1 x Aulonocara Usisya Peacock:
IMG_2131.jpg

Settling in:
bd3f32e5-e954-4bdf-82f5-f763d86bf5f2.jpg

Just come across this thread, boy oh boy! You have some stunning specimens there! 🧐 I demand a full tank photo....please 😁

+1 for the full tank shot please!

New fish look great! Where did they come from?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back