Ro System For Home Vs Aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

boshk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is there any difference?

I know there are some 3 stage, 5 stage etc, can you use a home RO system for the aquarium or vice versa?

I was just curious about RO system so I called a company in HK asking for home RO 4 stage. The quote was US800!

Following this with interest.

A RO system with more than one RO membrane is really overkill for drinking or aquarium use.  The last RO system i installed at my sisters place  a small under sink installation for drinking water only) will do 18 gallons a day.  Enough to support a once a week water change of a 100 gallon tank.  My sisters home system has about 3 gallons of storage.  For an aquarium she would need a larger storage tank which would cost more.  My sister tap water has a GH of about 270ppm and it honestly tastes like metal and doesn't meet EPA guidelines.  The cleaned water has a KH of about zero with a GH of 25ppm with no nitrogen, phosphorous, or chlorine.

Don't bother looking at how many stages it has.  Focus on gallons per day, and the amount of water stored in the tank.  For aquarium use  micro fertilizers must be added.  If you don't the plants will die.  RO water also doesn't have iodine which animals and invertebrates need.  Typically the iodine in the food should be enough but in some cases it might also need to be added.

Does your LFS not provide cheap RO water? I buy 25 litres for £2.50 at mine. It's made my fishkeeping a lot easier, considering I like in a hard water / high pH region.

Stages refer to the different processes that are involved. As has been said, the rate of production is hugely important, the rest of the stages both protect the RO membrane by putting slightly better quality water into the system and also having a slight improvement in the output quality.

Double (or more) membrane units are said to reduce the wastage. I can't vouch for it as I've not tried it, but I suppose it could be important if you're on a water meter.

Otherwise, I run my unit into a jerrycan, so storage of the water is fine, so long as you remember to turn it off again.

FishNChimps said:
Does your LFS not provide cheap RO water? I buy 25 litres for £2.50 at mine. It's made my fishkeeping a lot easier, considering I like in a hard water / high pH region.
nope, I actually went to ask.

They said......No to RO supply
No you don't need RO water UNLESS you are doing something really specific then you need need to re-mineral it to the specific requirements.

That was a little off putting....I was hoping they said something like yes, 25litres for HK$30, at least then I have an excuse to revisit 'fish street' to get water supplies.
The thought of having to invest in an expensive RO system, in a small flat........

Our local grocery stores sell 'distilled water' for about $1 a gallon.  Have you checked there?

Why do you need RO water?

Does your LFS not provide cheap RO water? I buy 25 litres for £2.50 at mine. It's made my fishkeeping a lot easier, considering I like in a hard water / high pH region.
If you have one small tank buying RO water from a store is an option but if you have one or more large tanks the volume and weight quickely becomes a big issue.  A home RO system can be installed with a hose long enough to reach the tank.

the rest of the stages both protect the RO membrane by putting slightly better quality water into the system and also having a slight improvement in the output quality.
Typically The RO membrane needs a particle filter and activated carbon filter to remove sediment and chlorine.  Both of which can damage or limit the life of the membrane.  My system and my sisters system are simple 3 stage system.

4 stage systems typically add  a second carbon filter on the output of the RO membrane to further reduce smell and tast.  However if the membrane is working is should not be any smell or tast for the second filter to remove.  IN some systems the 5th stage is a cartridge to remineralize the water by adding some minerals back for tast reasons.   Other systems may add a second RO filter or deionizing filter to further reduce the mineral content of the water.  Deionizing water filter are typically only used in specialized situations.  

For home or aquarium use I don't see any need for a second RO, remineralization, post carbon, and deionizing filters.  These filters mainly add expense, maintenance cost and help marketing.  A 3 stage RO system should be adequate for most people.

thanks for all the replies.

The reason I asked the question was this hobby is addictive.

I have a freshwater 125L tank and as I continue to read and research, saltwater inevitably sneaks in.

Now I wanna start a 20-25G FOWLR but as you know, most say a RO/DI system is required, theres only a few who says tap water is fine.

That is the reason I asked the question is RO system okay for both aquarium and home use.

I know RO/DI system is NOT okay for drinking due I believe to the DI segment being 'unsafe for human' but there are a few RO/DI systems out there that seem to have a valve before the DI segment which would allow RO water to be tapped.

Anyone use their RO/DI system for drinking?
brands recommended?

Not sure about the home drinking.but as you said it will cost a fortune.so for a smaller tank like 20g a small ro unit will be far better.
Don't ever use tap.the phosphates will give you major grief for algae.if you are doing a fowlr tank you will have small amounts of phosphates to deal with after your tank has cycled anyway.

Anyone use their RO/DI system for drinking?
I drink my RO water 100% of the time at home.   RO water is perfectly safe to drink.  Most hardware stores have small home RO systems specitcally sold to address drinking water concerns people have.  

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back