RO Buddie Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kamanut

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, I finally decided to get a RO Buddie for my tank. I have NO idea what I'm doing! Is there a way to hook it up so that I can still use my water changer to the faucet or hooked up to the RO water storage somehow so I don't have to bucket? Is putting it in the laundry room (washer hookup) or kitchen a better idea? Besides a splitter, are there any other things I should buy to make this all come together? Where do you put your new RO water? Where does the waste water go (like, where does the line go...I am the furthest thing from a plumber)? Thanks!

I just got an R/O unit. I have no space for it so I improvised a solution. The unit itself sits in the bathroom sink when I'm using it. I have a threaded faucet adaptor from Ace Hardware ($7.99) to connect the unit to city water. The waste water goes down the drain. This summer I'll drain the waste into the bathtub and water plants with it. My finished R/O water goes in a brand new Rubbermaid garbage can (LDPE4) and I dip out what I need. When not in use the whole shebang goes in a closet.

I just got an R/O unit. I have no space for it so I improvised a solution. The unit itself sits in the bathroom sink when I'm using it. I have a threaded faucet adaptor from Ace Hardware ($7.99) to connect the unit to city water. The waste water goes down the drain. This summer I'll drain the waste into the bathtub and water plants with it. My finished R/O water goes in a brand new Rubbermaid garbage can (LDPE4) and I dip out what I need. When not in use the whole shebang goes in a closet.

Awesome! I'm short on space too, which is why I think I'll try to somehow keep it in my laundry room with a storage tub (garbage can, like you) and attach the RO system to the wall. My tank is less than 10 feet away from my washer/dryer hookup so it shouldn't be too bad, but I'm also planning on using my Aqueon QuietFlow water pump to make water changes easier (pump the RO water into the tank). I've been researching like a crazy person since I started this, and while a lot of it still doesn't make sense, the water pump idea seems to be solid. I'm lucky in that my water is from a well, so I don't "pay for it" the same way someone on city water does.

Awesome! I'm short on space too, which is why I think I'll try to somehow keep it in my laundry room with a storage tub (garbage can, like you) and attach the RO system to the wall. My tank is less than 10 feet away from my washer/dryer hookup so it shouldn't be too bad, but I'm also planning on using my Aqueon QuietFlow water pump to make water changes easier (pump the RO water into the tank). I've been researching like a crazy person since I started this, and while a lot of it still doesn't make sense, the water pump idea seems to be solid. I'm lucky in that my water is from a well, so I don't "pay for it" the same way someone on city water does.
Sounds like you have it figured perfectly. It isn't difficult. I too am no plumber. If I can do this anybody can. And yes you are lucky as far as your water supply goes. Get a TDS Meter to check your water periodically. That will help you gauge your R/O membranes effectiveness. And don't forget to use your good R/O water for coffee and tea. Tastes much better.

I got a double tap adaptor which meant I could take the inlet for the RO filter from the same tap that supplies the washer. I drilled a little hole and put the waste outlet from the RO into the washer outlet (using gravity to ensure it went where it was supposed to - and a bit of silicone as backup). I pushed the RO tank into the cupboard under the sink and was all set with zero plumbing. Only downside of my solution is I do have to carry jerry cans of water, and fill them up in advance

Sounds like you have it figured perfectly. It isn't difficult. I too am no plumber. If I can do this anybody can. And yes you are lucky as far as your water supply goes. Get a TDS Meter to check your water periodically. That will help you gauge your R/O membranes effectiveness. And don't forget to use your good R/O water for coffee and tea. Tastes much better.

Thanks! I just started drinking coffee and am fine with the taste so far and hubby hasn't mentioned it (and he drinks 2 pots a day sometimes)...I actually LOVE the taste of my well water. It's super high in salinity I think (when it evaporates it leaves sheets of white, and with my GH only 1, I know it's not calcium or mg). I have a TDS meter..that's how I know my water is over 1000 ppm :)

I got a double tap adaptor which meant I could take the inlet for the RO filter from the same tap that supplies the washer. I drilled a little hole and put the waste outlet from the RO into the washer outlet (using gravity to ensure it went where it was supposed to - and a bit of silicone as backup). I pushed the RO tank into the cupboard under the sink and was all set with zero plumbing. Only downside of my solution is I do have to carry jerry cans of water, and fill them up in advance

Oofta, I feel like that went way over my head, but I'm trying to make sense of it! You haven't had any leaks with that setup?

Most reactions

Back