River stream 53g

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks so much @AilyNC and @Russjw it is great to get thoughts from people who have both!!

I need to start a journal for my tank but in the absence of that one more question to get your thoughts since I've already gone there :D the placement of the 125gal will be a fun challenge for me, because it will go against an "architectural wall" that the house came with. Said wall is not solid, but instead has 5 rectangular window type holes cut into it so you can see from one room to the other (70s design? Who knows lol), and the tank will be in front of two of these: one stout wide one that will show mostly the substrate and about 20cm x 40cm of viewing area from the bottom of the tank, and one tall one that will show the full height of the tank x50cm (numbers are gross estimates). Thus, I'll be actually attaching a tank background to the wall portion that is solid, and that will cover ~1/3 of the tank, maybe a bit more. It will be an interesting aqascape challenge to provide shelter and security to the fish while also allowing for double-sided viewing!! In light of all that, I originally picked black for the substrate since the stand and tank rims are black, but I see my husband's point in a lighter sand looking more natural and where the walls are a cream color either way you have something that will match in the room.

We were looking at sands the other day at the hardware store, and something that is sold here as "tube sand" (aka sand bags for water retention or weighing stuff down) seemed to have an interesting color and consistency of various grades of sand and even some gravel pieces mixed together. From reading up on it, that type of utility sand is usually produced locally due to shipping costs, and I think from a mineral perspective the local sand consistency is very compatible with aquarium uses. I'm wondering if going for that type of a mix of particulate matter all the way from fine silica (which will get washed out) to some gravel particles will look "good" or "awful" in the setting of the tank that I described. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

I think it will work in terms of safety, but I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on looks as it's a mostly sand and some gravel mix

Im not familiar with tube sand but im pretty sure over your side of the pond its sold at home depot and at lowes under a brand called Quikrete. I think this is safe. (Pretty sure Byron and @PheonixKingZ have used this)

As long as the gravel mix is fine and smooth i think it will work and give a nice textured look on the tank floor. I had something similar and it looked lovely and natural

Im not familiar with tube sand but im pretty sure over your side of the pond its sold at home depot and at lowes under a brand called Quikrete. I think this is safe. (Pretty sure Byron and @PheonixKingZ have used this)

As long as the gravel mix is fine and smooth i think it will work and give a nice textured look on the tank floor. I had something similar and it looked lovely and natural
Yes, that is correct, the Quikrete brand. It’s super easy to clean and looks great. :good:

Maintance on all tanks today and decided id go black water in the 55g.
20201219_182839.jpg
20201219_182431.jpg

Was interesting to see the fishes reaction soon as the rooibos got poured in :cool: its nice knowing i can revert back through a few water changes.

I definitely like the Black Water one better!

How do you feed the fish with all the vegetation floating? Do you use pellets?

I definitely like the Black Water one better!

How do you feed the fish with all the vegetation floating? Do you use pellets?
I feed all kinds of food. The floating plants dont stop the fish getting it. There are areas/gaps they can reach the surface and the food will just natural fall through the gaps anyway :)

Been battling with the 55g for a while now because i stupidly carried on adding things, notibly driftwood. Really liked the first set up here but after changing the sand and adding more wood its not quite been the same for me since.
20200606_171945.jpg

Had 2 or 3 re-shapes since which i know isnt ideal but i cant settle and enjoy the tanks if they arent right. Below pic is the tanks look before yesterdays rescape which wasnt too bad but the driftwood on the left looked like it was to dominanting....
20201219_182431.jpg

So i rescaped and lowered the driftwood and i think im getting back to my happy place.
20201228_174428.jpg

Ive ordered some more swords to bulk the background up and some smaller crypts for the foreground. Might need to make the Rooibos brew slightly stronger for the next water change too:)

Folks always told me "if it aint broke, dont fix it!!"

Yeh this looks less crowded, that piece on front right that youve moved to the left was quite dominating. Looks like you have distinct focal points now with everything in their right place.
I really need a hand with mine lol i keep putting it off!

Yeh this looks less crowded, that piece on front right that youve moved to the left was quite dominating. Looks like you have distinct focal points now with everything in their right place.
I really need a hand with mine lol i keep putting it off!
I cant settle if somethings not quite right. But thats most of the time with me :rofl:

where are you at with yours?

New year, new set up.

Wanted to create a network of caves and nooks and crannies for the Apisto's and Hoplo's and have more clear swim space for the barbs. Ive got 4 planted tanks so i fancied changing so the rock was the main focal point.

So ive change too dragon rock which is more dramatic and can easily add layers better than the river stone. Buff sand is back in place of the black substrate and ive taken out some driftwood and the trailing ivy to make it look more spacious.

Thinking of adding one or 2 more plants. Maybe some kind of anubias to go on some of the rock faces and i might add some tall vallisneria in the
Back ground corners to add some more colour.

Early stages but its a start on a new tank journey:)

20210115_192953.jpg
20210115_192923.jpg
20210115_193023.jpg

Mr @Colin_T , can i lend you expertise please

Over the last few weeks one of my male Rosy barb has started to flip and spin. Dosent do it all the time but as become more regular this past few days. Still coloured up, eating well and most the time acting normal. Just tends to go a bit doolally tap and starts brake dancing now and then.

Example in video about 30 seconds in.

Any idea?

Cheers

Probably best to ask in a new thread.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back