River stream 53g

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's a beautiful burst of colour! Your tank is really amazing. I am hoping to set up a new tank soon - I was just gonna throw everything from my small tank in, fish included... But seeing this I kinda want the slow set up :wub:
Start a build journal on here that way you'll be forced to slow down and do it step by step as you'll be documenting it. Plus you'll be getting advice and suggestions along the way from us lovely lot :p

Start a build journal on here that way you'll be forced to slow down and do it step by step as you'll be documenting it. Plus you'll be getting advice and suggestions along the way from us lovely lot :p
And not asking questions all over the place that I then have to search for :)

And not asking questions all over the place that I then have to search for :)
Ha maybe that too!? Also cool for you to look back on. Wish I'd done it from the very start with mine. like, from a bare tank onwards. Maybe next time :D

It is well worth doing a journal. Just to look back at the certain stages durning the build is nice to go back to to see how far the tank and fish/plants have come on

20200905_133738.jpg

Half way down the tank now with the cornuta and fein. Im amazed just how big they have grown this time around and must be down to the new T8's. Both have grown lovely and thick. Ive had to take some lilly pads out off the green lotus to accomdate the massive growth of the water sprite.

Seem to grow a couple of inches after every water change.

Attachments

• 20200905_134811.jpg
    20200905_134811.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 117
20200919_203529.jpg

Had a freshen up and added some more Crypts (Cryptocoryne legroi) must have over 15 different types now.

Water sprite is now looking like a canopy in the rainforest :hyper:
20200919_201219.jpg
20200919_201916.jpg
20200919_201939.jpg

So thick at the surface ive had to thin it out somewhat. My green lotus as also sprout out into a new plant and rising to the surface pretty quickly. I will trim this one tho to keep it low. (No more room up in the canopy lol)

My 3 Apistogramma Panduro's are now the sole bottom dwellering fish in this tank. Ive moved the Bronze corys to my other tank to live with the Panda's. This means i dont need a night feed, so less food going in and the challage of making sure 3 groups of fish get enough food is made life easier:)

New arrivals in the 55g this week

Some Megalechis thoracata (Hoplo catfish)
Settled in very well so far and brought a different activity to the tank. Was a bit worried with how they would get on along with the bigger barbs and apisto's with how small they are at the moment but im pleased to say all is well in that regards. The hoplo cats have even been playing in the apistos dens :eek:

Very playful and active nature with gorgeous markings :wub:looking forward to seeing them mature.

:snap:
20201120_152818.jpg
20201120_152709.jpg
20201120_152623.jpg
20201120_152558.jpg
20201120_152522.jpg
20201120_152458.jpg
20201120_152414.jpg
20201120_152330.jpg

20201120_152300.jpg
20201120_204722.jpg

Had a little move around lately which has seen 2 of my apisto move territory and make up a new den together. Been thick as thiefs since. Rosy's barbs cant pop round for a waffle but hoplo cats can apparently:friends:
20201120_152242.jpg
20201120_152215.jpg

I just read through this and loved seeing the evolution of this tank! Beautiful!! I wanted to go back to the "beginning" where you started with light colored sand. You posted that you changed it out because you didn't like that it looked dirty, can you elaborate on that? I went and bought 150lbs of black diamond blasting sand today, and after hauling it all home, hubby said he felt that it looked unnatural and asked if we shouldn't do a lighter colored sand instead... :angry:

But I have to give it to you, this thread was awesome to read and see the evolution of the tank, all the way from light to dark sand!

The Hoplo fish are looking great. Maybe enter one of them in our upcoming Fish of the Month contest in mid December. That contest will allow any type of fish to be entered.

I just read through this and loved seeing the evolution of this tank! Beautiful!! I wanted to go back to the "beginning" where you started with light colored sand. You posted that you changed it out because you didn't like that it looked dirty, can you elaborate on that? I went and bought 150lbs of black diamond blasting sand today, and after hauling it all home, hubby said he felt that it looked unnatural and asked if we shouldn't do a lighter colored sand instead... :angry:

But I have to give it to you, this thread was awesome to read and see the evolution of the tank, all the way from light to dark sand!

I have two tanks side by side. One the dark limpopo black sand. It's big totally black, has nice mix of grey. And I've a play sand tank. You don't notice the debris & poop in the darker sand tank. In the light sand every poop stands out. It's look so much grubbier & dirtier by the end of the week. I liked the contrast in the look of sand of both tanks but do hate that one's looks dirty within a few days.

Attachments

• PXL_20201112_172443718.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201112_172443718.MP.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 75

Mighty kind of you, thank you :)

With this tank the change over to black sand was more to do with some very fine gravel i put in certain sections. Over time it got scattered by cories and then little debris of wood etc would stick more in that area. Tbh it wasnt bad it was just my tank OCDo_O

Ive got 4 tanks with an even split of play /black sand and both have pros and cons.

For me buff looks much more natural and this tank looked at its best with the play sand. Cons is it does show debris up more than darker sands but not to the extent to stop me having it again.

Black sand for me isnt as natural but is quiet striking in a tank and its biggest pro is it brings out the colour of your plants and fish. Makes them really pop!:cool:

I have two tanks side by side. One the dark limpopo black sand. It's big totally black, has nice mix of grey. And I've a play sand tank. You don't notice the debris & poop in the darker sand tank. In the light sand every poop stands out. It's look so much grubbier & dirtier by the end of the week. I liked the contrast in the look of sand of both tanks but do hate that one's looks dirty within a few days.
Lovely looking tanks @AilyNC :good: I have two side by side like this which really does enhance the look of the tanks in the room.
20201121_091727.jpg

I dont find a massive difference with the lighter sand getting grubbier but the dark does hide more overall:)

My 29g is the worst, it never seems to stay as tidy as my others but i think thats very much down to the fact i have a BN pleco in the 29g :/

Lovely looking tanks @AilyNC :good: I have two side by side like this which really does enhance the look of the tanks in the room. View attachment 123159
I dont find a massive difference with the lighter sand getting grubbier but the dark does hide more overall:)

My 29g is the worst, it never seems to stay as tidy as my others but i think thats very much down to the fact i have a BN pleco in the 29g :/

Gorgeous tanks.

Yeah i like the play sand for how natural it looks & it's very fine so fun for some fish to mean about in. Mine is also affected by the fact I've live-bearers in the tank. Fry but they still poop like mad. Hopefully when they're rehomed it'll be easier to keep tank looking clean.

The darker really pops the plants. But a black background can do same.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back