River Rocks .. Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My husband and I would like to go down to the river and collect some large rocks to build in our shubunkin koi & comet gold tanks. We put one in our tank yesterday and the fish seem fine, we scrubbed it really good and let it soak in boiling water for over an hour before we put it in. 

Has anyone ever done this? Does it raise pH, ammonia ect. in tank? 

Thanks! 

I have done this for every rock in all my tanks I have over 200 pounds collected from streams and rivers in my area and haven't had a fish die from it yet the key is always boil it like you did and just use common sense when grabbing one up.
Never take ones from fields that grow crops as they will have been sprayed with chemicals and the same goes for ones in flower beds or next to roads.
Good luck and hope you get some cool rocks :)

Ive never had a problem doing this always just made sure i give them a good clean before.

I think there can be instances from certain environments where they can alter the PH, I.E rivers flowing through acidic limestone rocks etc but you can check this before with PH strips :)

Brush/scrub then run under tap then scrub, boil and it's ready to serve :D

I do this with my rocks and acid test them first to see if there is any limestone in them.
Good Luck! River rocks can look great in a tank.
smile.png

Can I just remind everyone not to boil their rocks please!

Not only is it unnecessary (they only need scrubbing and boiling water poured over them) but it can be extremely dangerous. If there are any air pockets in the rock, they will expand and can make the rock explode.

Okay, it doesn't happen often, but splinters of hot rock flying around your kitchen could cause some very serious damage. I don't like to think of what would happen if one of you was in the kitchen at the time :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back