Big River South

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It looks really good :) I'd be the same now if I had clear sand lol. One thing you could do is (and sorry I know you've just rescaped lol), not hide the inlet pipe. If its got clear flow from the tank it will suck out more :) If you are not too keen on the standard pipes you could look at getting the steel ones which look a bit cooler.

Wills
Tbf ive left a gap around the outskirts of the whole tank so flow can get through. I could do with lowering my intake pipe from my fluval cainster. Its a bit short coming from a shallower tank.

Might upgrade the fluval once my aquael is well established.

Ps hows your puffers settled?

Tbf ive left a gap around the outskirts of the whole tank so flow can get through. I could do with lowering my intake pipe from my fluval cainster. Its a bit short coming from a shallower tank.

Might upgrade the fluval once my aquael is well established.

Ps hows your puffers settled?
Theyve both been doing really well, seem to get on too and they have left my shrimp alone like I thought :) We are on hols this week so my dads going round to feed them a few times, fingers crosed he doesnt mess it up... really craving a big cichlid tank like yours though...

Theyve both been doing really well, seem to get on too and they have left my shrimp alone like I thought :) We are on hols this week so my dads going round to feed them a few times, fingers crosed he doesnt mess it up... really craving a big cichlid tank like yours though...
Im sure you can sneak one in through the back door without your wife knowing lol

Well i got a big suprise tonight when i went to feed the big tank......
20210611_181836.jpg
20210611_181707.jpg
20210611_181701.jpg
20210611_184843.jpg

I know my Ellioti pair have breed on at least 2 occasions in the last month but im really suprised the fry have got to this stage free swimming being in a large community. Must be 50+ babies:)

Got me thinking of setting up a breeding tank for them

Edit...way more than 50!

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how your little ones grow
Doing really well atm with mom and dad doing a great job, however sadly the chances of them surviving long term in this tank are slim.

Was looking yesterday for a tank to move them all over too but with them needing a 4ft plus tank its putting me off a tad.

Doing really well atm with mom and dad doing a great job, however sadly the chances of them surviving long term in this tank are slim.

Was looking yesterday for a tank to move them all over too but with them needing a 4ft plus tank its putting me off a tad.
Yes I don’t expect releasing them into general population would have any health benefits for them.
Sometimes it’s best not to notice these things and to get a surprise when the head count goes up by one.

Yes I don’t expect releasing them into general population would have any health benefits for them.
Sometimes it’s best not to notice these things and to get a surprise when the head count goes up by one.
Yes 100% agree, ive had them suprises with my panda's and oto'. No stress attached that way.

I did release the 25 or so i had in the breeder back with mom and dad and the other fry. Just letting nature take its course and ill do a breeding project further down the line

@Wills
Cant really get the bocourti's size over well on pictures but these vid's will give a better idea.

Couple of months ago

This is now.

Might have to upgrade soon lol.

More large Anubias barteri and Java Fern Microsorum Pteropus gone in this week.
20210703_183626.jpg
20210703_183610.jpg

Also this week i noticed my female Ellioti guarding more eggs on a rock and low and behold i found her protecting fry this morning. Should be free swimming again tomorrow:)

On the verge of buying a breeding tank for them. Just not sure i know enough about how to bring the fry up yet.

All change for the big tank.

Ive set up a Juwel 180 breeder and moved the Ellioti pair over. Just a simple set up with a sand substrate, river rock, driftwood a leaf litter.
20210821_180915.jpg
20210821_180950.jpg

Introduced some koi sanke swordtails for dithers to make them feel more secure and it certainly worked. Laid eggs within days:)

With moving the Ellioti over i decided to reset the 500 and have a change round.
20210821_180202.jpg
20210821_180213.jpg

Might add some more driftwood roots in the background and maybe 1 or 2 large plants still along with more water sprite when i can get my hands on some.

With the front and back having a nice stretch of sand and plenty of nooks and crannies between the rocks etc i thought it would be great to introduce some more bottom dwellers so while i was over my local collecting the swords i also purchased 4 Pictus catfish:):fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back