River Creek 22g

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

They are a nice talking point tbf. People are just drawn to the fish tanks which is nice:)
So, I hope this isn't a thread hijack, but this reminds me of a story. I used to have a densely planted, southeast Asian tank with a big model of an Angkor temple wall as the backdrop. One time my dad, who fought in Vietnam including some "unofficial" missions into Cambodia, was visiting me. I noticed him staring at the tank, and asked him if he ever saw any of those ruins in Cambodia. He chuckled and said, "I might have; I don't really remember, but if I did I'd have been a lot more worried about who might be hiding in that doorway than admiring the architecture." Later on, he said, "You know, I never saw any fish like that over there, but I sure walked through a lot of those weeds. I never knew things were so pretty under the water." He was always kind of fascinated by the tank after that. He's never told me all that much about his experiences over there, but it was kind of special connecting over such a random thing.

OK, thanks for letting me tell that (not that you really had any choice). Back to Russ's amazing river tank. :)

Last edited:
So, I hope this isn't a thread hijack, but this reminds me of a story. I used to have a densely planted, southeast Asian tank with a big model of an Angkor temple wall as the backdrop. One time my dad, who fought in Vietnam including some "unofficial" missions into Cambodia, was visiting me. I noticed him staring at the tank, and asked him if he ever saw any of those ruins in Cambodia. He chuckled and said, "I might have; I don't really remember, but if I did I'd have been a lot more worried about who might be hiding in that doorway than admiring the architecture." Later on, he said, "You know, I never saw any fish like that over there, but I sure walked through a lot of those weeds. I never knew things were so pretty under the water." He was always kind of fascinated by the tank after that. He's never told me all that much about his experiences over there, but it was kind of special connecting over such a random thing.

OK, thanks for letting me tell that (not that you really had any choice). Back to Russ's amazing river tank. :)
Wow! thats an amazing connection. Sounds a real interesting tank too :)

Thanks for sharing that

From the beginning ive always wanted some Rummy Nose Tetra but always ended up going down a different route for one reason or another. I saw them a couple of years ago in a group of 100+ at maidenhead aquatics and loved how they schooled tightly. :wub:
20201018_153507.jpg
20201018_153415.jpg

Probably the best schooling fish going for me. So i thought that wait should be over :wub:

Beauties

20201101_180713.jpg
20201101_180756.jpg

Bit of a change in this tank. Had a little section of river pebbles which i had to tie this and my smaller tank together. Over time they just become stained and even tho i gravel vac'd every week i couldnt keep them as clean looking as i wanted. (I knew this might happen at some point)
20201101_185343.jpg

Did really like the look but ive reluctantly took them out and topped back up with sand. Not sure im 100% happy with the scape yet but ill tweak it if and when necessary.

Took these pictures just after feed time. Love this tank in the evenings when all is lively :)

20201108_140326.jpg

The Rummy nose Tetra have settled in this tank nicely. Strangely since i altered the scape and took the pebble area out their patrol path as extented to the full lenght of the tank.

Also Added a second smaller duel sponge filter. I do like the extra circulation this brings and the extra security in case the other filter fails in some way.

The rummy noses make a really good match with the cardinals.

The rummy noses make a really good match with the cardinals.
They do yeah, nice difference in activity and colour but dont bother each other whats so ever.

The Rummy nose make me laugh. They just patrol up and down like troops only stopping for food

20201213_094735.jpg

Finally got round to trying Rooibos tea and i must say its a nice change. Tried it out in the 15g first as i wanted the 22g staying as is for now. Must say im impressed:wub:
20201213_100827.jpg

Might use it in my 29g. Id recommend Rooibos to anyone who fancies the blackwater look.

Where I have 2 tanks next to each other I have done similar. My dream would be 5 or 6 tanks the size of the river creek tank all end to end with a single panoramic theme running through them. Probably something like following the course of a river through mountains, forest, savanah, coastal wetlands and finally into the sea (marine tank)
Ooooooh. Great idea Sean. I like the sound of that.
I’m tempted by three identical two foot species tanks to encourage breeding instead of one six foot community. Or differing sizes as dictated by species. Pushed together and heavily planted at all four adjoining ends to maintain the illusion.

Just gotta work on MrsLurch now!

View attachment 124675
Finally got round to trying Rooibos tea and i must say its a nice change. Tried it out in the 15g first as i wanted the 22g staying as is for now. Must say im impressed:wub:
View attachment 124677
Might use it in my 29g. Id recommend Rooibos to anyone who fancies the blackwater look.
Russ I’ve just realised I’ve never commented on this thread until just now. You’ve done a great job with these tanks. Both beautiful. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Im starting another tank next weekend and was gonna mix my leftover black sand with the pebbles that came with the second hand tank. I don’t think I’ll bother now after reading your verdict above. Cheers.

Russ I’ve just realised I’ve never commented on this thread until just now. You’ve done a great job with these tanks. Both beautiful. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Im starting another tank next weekend and was gonna mix my leftover black sand with the pebbles that came with the second hand tank. I don’t think I’ll bother now after reading your verdict above. Cheers.
Thank you @ClownLurch appreciate it :good:

Yeah the river pebbles with the black sand looks good but becomes abit unpleasing overtime.

Ive just taken the pebbles out the 15g and had a rescape. Needs tweaking still tho and some more plants adding

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back