🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
20200701_201844.jpg
20200701_201806.jpg
20200701_204153.jpg
20200629_222830.jpg
20200629_222657.jpg
20200701_201728.jpg
20200701_201626.jpg

Tanks really coming along now, algae is starting to disappear off the rocks and driftwood etc after a little bloom and the plants are lovely and bright. Ive added a another big crypt and some more stem plants along with another small rock cave to make it easier for the apistos to claim their territories.

This tank as 28 Cardinals in now and they really pop against the dark sand and plant back ground.

Apisto's...!:thumbs: I tried a Trio of females (no males in stock at LFS) which i knew might not work with me not adding them altogether and after 3 days the first female was still chasing the new pair. Ive now decided to put the domainant female in my 29g and both parties seem much happier already. Once Males are back in stock i might get one for the 22g and possibly the 29g also :)

I've often found that if you add new cichlids to exisiting established territories and it goes terribly at the start, then its not going to work long term.

I'm not sure what adding the male would do - it could disrupt and distract the current hierachy and sort of 'reset' it or your dominant female could remain dominant and do damage to them in the same way they have with the other females.

You could try taking them all out and then completely rescaping your tank, and I mean total rescape dont just move things around a bit - break up line of sight as much as possible (which I think you've done well here anyway). You could try and break the surface with wood more, trying to build structures can break up line of sight as can plants but it also gives you crevices and natural cover for them to claim.

I think the rescape could be a good idea - just make sure you change as much as possible.

Wills

I've often found that if you add new cichlids to exisiting established territories and it goes terribly at the start, then its not going to work long term.

I'm not sure what adding the male would do - it could disrupt and distract the current hierachy and sort of 'reset' it or your dominant female could remain dominant and do damage to them in the same way they have with the other females.

You could try taking them all out and then completely rescaping your tank, and I mean total rescape dont just move things around a bit - break up line of sight as much as possible (which I think you've done well here anyway). You could try and break the surface with wood more, trying to build structures can break up line of sight as can plants but it also gives you crevices and natural cover for them to claim.

I think the rescape could be a good idea - just make sure you change as much as possible.

Wills
Thanks Wills, that may well be a good option. I have got some more wood and savu pods due in the coming days i could use in a rescape.

Catching 28 Cardinals could be tricky but might be worth a shot to settle them all back in together.

Yeah always best to get them all out first :) take the decor out, lower the water and use big nets :)

Wills

20200712_194332.jpg
20200712_194036.jpg

Hi guys,

Ive got some Anubias nana petite on order which i want to place in the rocky area in the above tank.

First time with Anubias...is it best tied to driftwood with fishing wire? Dont really want to use glue with the wood already being wet.

Or could i just lightly wedge the roots inbetween the wood/rock? :)

Attachments

• 20200712_194137.jpg
    20200712_194137.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 64
If there are crevices in the wood, it is possible to carefully wedge the rhizome into that. If it's not possible, I use sewing thread as I have a lot of that as I like making my own clothes. Fishing line would be just as good.

If there are crevices in the wood, it is possible to carefully wedge the rhizome into that. If it's not possible, I use sewing thread as I have a lot of that as I like making my own clothes. Fishing line would be just as good.
I use a mixture of both fishing line and super glue.

I also have found that black marine grade thread works really well.

On the Apistogramma panduro, I would leave well enough alone and accept whatever may occur. I had this species some 10 years back, a male and two females. I saw the one female rather hounding the second, especially when the male spawned with the "dominant" female, buty it was a 4-foot heavily planted tank so I thought I couldn't do much more. It was not very long before the second female disappeared. Female apistos can be very rough especially when defending an egg clutch or fry.

On the Apistogramma panduro, I would leave well enough alone and accept whatever may occur. I had this species some 10 years back, a male and two females. I saw the one female rather hounding the second, especially when the male spawned with the "dominant" female, buty it was a 4-foot heavily planted tank so I thought I couldn't do much more. It was not very long before the second female disappeared. Female apistos can be very rough especially when defending an egg clutch or fry.
I had to move them to a bigger tank Byron.

1 of the females was constantly hiding behind the big cave and the other 1 was vertical up behind one of the heaters. Just couldnt leave them like that. They now have much more space and cover to set up their own territories and there is no chasing or flairing at each other.

There is little crevices between the rock and wood so i will give that ago first :)

I have got some sewing thread so thats a good back up plan.

Thank you @essjay

Sewing thread eventually rots but the plant has usually attached itself by this time. I just pull the thread away gently (so i don't damage the rhizome by pulling it too hard)

Unable to comment cos I use superglue (on wet wood) ;)

Sewing thread eventually rots but the plant has usually attached itself by this time. I just pull the thread away gently (so i don't damage the rhizome by pulling it too hard)
That’s why I use thread. That way, when the plant roots itself to the wood, the thread will rot. Leaving to need to remove it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back