Rip Sherbert

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Amunet

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Well I kept debating whether or not I should euthanize him or not. I decided I was going to wait last night, but I woke up this morning and he was getting worse. His gill movement was getting quicker and his little body was just giving up on him.
I know he would've kept fighting on until the end, which makes this 100x harder to do, but he just wasn't getting any better and I didn't want him to suffer any longer.

I know this is gonna sound kinda bad, but I thought it would be a little easier to do the 2nd time around, but it's just as hard and I feel so guilty and heartbroken for having to do it.

RIP my pretty little guy Sherbert. He was such a grumpy little betta. Always flared at me or my finger whenever I got near the tank to admire or play with him. I remember he scared the crap out of me when I fed him bloodworms for the first time. I had to put the frozen bloodworms in on my finger tip b/c I didn't want to pour them and they were getting stuck to the cup. So I dipped my finger in not really paying attention and suddenly I felt him nipping at my finger! lol It was just unexpected and about made me jump back 10ft lol

Well... here are some pictures of him. He did NOT like getting his picture taken. Always moved around and would flare at me after I backed off :p heh

Sherb and his bubblenest... he worked on it all the time after I put the piece of styrofoam in.
3-4-3.jpg

Right after a flare at me. He was in a good mood this day.
3-4-5.jpg

My few tries of getting a good shot of him, but as you can see, he just wasn't having any of it.
2-9-3.jpg

2-9-2.jpg

2-9-1.jpg

And finally, peeking at me from behind his plant. He totally knew what he was doing whenever I was trying to get a pic. He would keep moving and hide when I tryed taking a pic, then as soon as I put the camera away, he would start to pose and tease me :p
2-4-13.jpg

RIP Sherbert....... RIP

Thanks Jaded... it's just a bit depressing looking over at the tank and not seeing him. He was always looking around his tank, inspecting the gravel for food etc etc.
He will be sorely missed just like all of my other bettas who have passed.

Awww..so sad! Do you know what was wrong with the poor little guy??

I have no idea what caused him to get sick.
Just one day he was fine, and the next he was lethargic, hanging in the air bubbles and bloating.
I'm sure he was constipated, but I don't know if it was from the bloating or if it caused the bloating, if that makes any sense.
Whatever was wrong with him, it caused him to start retaining fluids. Although the bloat wasn't THAT bad, it was still enough to make him worse and started to cause dropsy to occur.
I thought the scales sticking up might've just been b/c of the bloating since it was only happening in that area, but as he got worse, so did the pineconing and it started to occur everywhere.

So my guess would be that some internal bacterial infection. Maybe he had been sick for longer than I realized and only noticed it when it was too late :(

So sorry to hear about Sherbert :( You tried so hard to save him and it must have been such a hard decision to make
36_1_67.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back