Rip In Betta's Fin?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys. Well, I rescued a male betta a few months ago (About 4 or 5), and he's doing great. Only one thing: I put a couple livebearers with him, and since he's so docile, the livebearers nipped at him, and he just took the abuse. Eventually they mellowed out, so I thought everything was okay. Then I realized he had a small rip vertically down his fin. I moved the livebearers and put in some melafix. (This happened a couple weeks ago)

I stopped treatment of melafix after a week, and since have been doing water changes every couple days. I looked at the split today, and it only looks worse. It's not rotting, but what started as something that was barely noticeable, is quite a bit of fin missing. I'm keeping an eye on it, but is there anything I can do to aid the healing process besides keeping the water clean and keeping sharp objects (ie. plastic plants - don't use those anyways) and nippy fish out of the tank?

It only seems to be getting worse (not rotting though), but there is only one tankmate, a platy, which is more scared of him than anything, and just a couple pieces of java fern in the tank. The water current is fairly gentle. Don't know what's causing it to rip more. Here's a pic:

(Click to make bigger) Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. :/

Thanks in advance,
-f_f!

Don't use Melafix again unless you only use a 1/4 dose. Full or near full doses of Melafix can cause sickness and even instant death in bettas.

Platy could still be the problem. May be nipping while the betta is sleeping. Remove all tank mates, do small daily water changes and add a low dose of aquarium salts. Keep the betta well fed on live/frozen food and some very good quality, high protien betta pellets.

Don't use Melafix again unless you only use a 1/4 dose. Full or near full doses of Melafix can cause sickness and even instant death in bettas.

Platy could still be the problem. May be nipping while the betta is sleeping. Remove all tank mates, do small daily water changes and add a low dose of aquarium salts. Keep the betta well fed on live/frozen food and some very good quality, high protien betta pellets.
Yep, I stopped using the melafix a while ago. And low doses being... what? Half a teaspoon or a teaspoon per gallon?
And I'll remove the platy.

Yep, I stopped using the melafix a while ago. And low doses being... what? Half a teaspoon or a teaspoon per gallon?
And I'll remove the platy.

You want to use about 1/4 of what it says on the bottle, but personally I'd avoid using it all together. Find clean water, a high protien diet and a little salt does a pretty good job.

The reaction to Melafix in bettas isn't too common but not a nice thing to happen.

What is your tank size and water stats?

I was advised on another forum that 50% daily water changes for 10 days with aquarium salt added.

I've not got fin fot but I've got something else so I figured I'd give it a try before using medicine...

On this forum I was recommended Waterlife Myxazin for fin rot treatment. I bought it but haven't used it yet :)

I reckon your platy is the main issue, it could be harassing the betta and the stress cand nipping would cause the fin to not heal up.

I really like the eSHa med for bettas - very gentle and it heals up fins so fast. But I think try with the water changes first, they work wonders. The tank looks quite small from the pic and no real hidey holes so the betta can't really escape the platy if it is the platy causing the problem

The tank is my 4.5 gallon QT tank, water stats are:

ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 15ppm
ph: 7.5

I moved the platy almost a week ago, and my betta's fins are still getting worse. It looks like he has fin and mouth rot, because I noticed his mouth starting to deteriorate. I'm doing daily water changes, there are no tank mates, and I started treating with some fungus clear. I heard about using tetracycline for fin and tail rot, but I can't find any, even if it's with other ingredients in a med.

I'm hoping he'll recover. The same thing happened to my female, and I caught it too late. (except she got it either by jumping up to a tooth pick for a pea, and damaging her mouth [causing mouth rot] or getting an infection from a net. Those nets are bad for bettas. Won't use them again.)

Thanks for all the help.

-f_f!

is he still eating? if so, soak his food in garlic juice (just cshop up some garlic and roll the food around in it-or use the juice from prechopped, jarred garlic) will help his immune system if you cant find meds.
im not an advocate for adding anitbiotics randomly for fish illnesses, but this is one that calls for it. tetracycline would be optimal if you can find it, maracyn I and II in combination would be good too if you can get it. follow dosing instructions and hopefully will see improvement. also, lower tank temp a few degrees F (no more than 2C) if you are able. and keep up with those waterchanges.
what kind of stresses is the fish exposed to. an otherwise healthy fish can become compromised immune wise due to stress from all sorts of factors from temp fluctuations to boisterous tankmates or change of housing.
best of luck
keep us posted.
cheers

Yes, he's still eating. I forgot to mention I'm feeding him medicated anti-bacterial food along side with his regular betta pellets.

The only place you can find Maracyn where I live is Petsmart, and they don't have that "1 and 2". I checked today. Otherwise, I would of picked it up.

But yeah, he only gets stressed when he's by himself. He's a really social betta, and I notice that when he's by himself, he sits in one place, and only comes up when I come close to the tank, but with tank mates, he swims around all the time.

Thanks again,

-f_f!

that will help a bit feeding medicated food. but really its best for internal issues like septicaemia and certain instances of dropsy. better would be additive to the tank-check the meds at pestmart. look for erythromycin in the meds (maracyn II<---if memory serves its the active ingredient. or its maracyn I but fairly certian ints II). its a good place to start.
the tank buddies (fizzy tabs) for fungus (not ich or interanl parasites) may also be useful.
and keep the water on the cool side (for a betta).

and while you are at pesmart, see if they have any anacharis (elodea) a bunch generally is around $3 US. does not need to be rooted to do really well in a tank. and will help with water quality in Q-tank. might make the betta more comfy and less stressed to have some plants floating around with him. to rest on, etc. dont be afraid of snails. they are great addition to clean up leftover food.

with all the betta illnesses around here lately, i think i need to start an emergency thread for betta meds/treatments. ive literally done tens and tens of hours of research! and bettas are prone to certain illnesses (finrot and consipation and dropsy(in that order)), prob down to their breeding. and as always, keep that water clean :)

again, all the best and keep us updated.
cheers

that will help a bit feeding medicated food. but really its best for internal issues like septicaemia and certain instances of dropsy. better would be additive to the tank-check the meds at pestmart. look for erythromycin in the meds (maracyn II<---if memory serves its the active ingredient. or its maracyn I but fairly certian ints II). its a good place to start.
the tank buddies (fizzy tabs) for fungus (not ich or interanl parasites) may also be useful.
and keep the water on the cool side (for a betta).

and while you are at pesmart, see if they have any anacharis (elodea) a bunch generally is around $3 US. does not need to be rooted to do really well in a tank. and will help with water quality in Q-tank. might make the betta more comfy and less stressed to have some plants floating around with him. to rest on, etc. dont be afraid of snails. they are great addition to clean up leftover food.

with all the betta illnesses around here lately, i think i need to start an emergency thread for betta meds/treatments. ive literally done tens and tens of hours of research! and bettas are prone to certain illnesses (finrot and consipation and dropsy(in that order)), prob down to their breeding. and as always, keep that water clean :)

again, all the best and keep us updated.
cheers

Yep, yep. I totally know what you mean. I've done so much research. Hours, and hours, and HOURS! :blink: But I find the best way to learn is to experience. Yes, it's terrible to experience these things, and I don't ask for it, but really, once I experienced internal parasites in my livebearers, I could help people A LOT more than when I just read about it. I had to overcome it, too.

I feel so bad for my Scoot, and yes, I have some live plants in there already. Some hornwort, java moss, and java fern.

I feel dumb asking these questions, because I basically already know what to do, I just want second opinions. :)

You really should make a betta emergency section. I like helping people with their problems with fish diseases. I seem to know too much in that area. :blink: (Probably because it plagues my tanks too often... Arggh. :no: )

Thanks again for responding. I wish my poor guy would just heal already. And I have some tank buddies fizz tablets. Never worked for my female betta, but I'm hoping it will work for Scooter... :/ I also put some aquarium salt in there.

I'll keep you all posted. :/

-f_f!

the fizzy tabs dont work for everything but might be worth a shot if he doesnt respond to the current treatment, esp since you cant find the med you really should be using. it is a good second option. but please allow at least 3-5 days between treatments to give the fish a break. unless the situation is dire and direct action needs to be taken. sometimes an aggressive approach is necessary. dont mix medications (generally-some combos are ok and actually better treatment options) and as always as if you are uncertain!
keep us posted and good luck!
cheers

Yeah, I will keep you all posted. And I will give Scoot a break after 4 days. Poor guy. :( I feel so bad for him, especially considering that I rescued him months ago so he could have a BETTER life. :sad:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back