Rimless Shrimp Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nicklfire

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok so i'm thinking of doing a rimless planted shrimp tank, consisting of cherry shrimps. Startout with about 10 of these guys, currently got about 5 in my 55 gallon tank and i like them. Anyways....

Going to do a rimless Tank.. it's about 25 gallons, kinda.. rectangular similar to this:
BullAkv603033.JPG

And going to go with a foam filter:
filter_hagen_biofoam_sgl_dbl_sponge_filter.jpg

Going to go with a hagen glo cause i dont need anything too fancy here:
a3900.jpg

Probably going to aim for around... Under 2wpg so it is a low light system.

I'm worried about circulation cause i know those foam filters dont really do any circulation how can i combat this?

Also probably going to go with eco-complete or something similar for substrate, possibly flora-base which i use in my 55 gallon.
Depending if my lighting is less then 2wpg.... i might do some EI, minor... to keep plants looking good.. mostly wanna do low light.. low maintanance tank for the shrimp.. algae isnt really a bad thing cause it's a shrimp tank.

Cherry shrimp will be the only living things in there.

Doing ALOT of driftwood covered in java moss.. cant figure out what i wanna do for a foreground.. or carpet. Possiably.. nothing cause of low light.

Wanna do a bunch of vails.. swords... but nothing too cluttered in the middle...

Input on this shrimp farm of mine would be ideal.

If it is going to be very well planted then you can probably do without the filter all together if its just shrimp in there. The plants will do a better job of filtering then a sponge/foam filter will and shrimp dont really add much of a bio load to the tank.

If you aren't planning on using CO2 then I would get one or two small powerheads for water movement. it doesnt have to be massive but just enough to make sure there are not too many dead spots. Or you could go for a small internal filter (the type with a PH at the top and sponge in a chamber underneath). This will give you some filtration without worrying about sucking up any shrimp.

You could also go for a small external filter. I have one on the tank my cherry shrimp are in and while the babies do get sucked into quite often it doesnt hurt them. I just net them out of the filter every couple of weeks and put them back in the tank.

If you plan on breeding them then you might want to start with more then 5 to give a better gene pool. Once you have a lot in there swap a bunch of them with someone else every so often to stop too much inbreeding.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back