Review of Pet Zone in Bemidji MN

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NearMeBettas

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is my only LPS within hours of my place. I have not had a good experience with Pet Zone. I have stopped shopping there besides to get crickets for my geckos which is essential. These are my experiences throughout the years:

I bought a blue mini rex bunny. He was housed in a 150-gallon hexagon tank with about a dozen other bunnies. they didn't have a water dish, instead a water bottle. They had free choice pellets with rainbow colored bits and no hay. The wood chips they were on did seem to be clean and had no foul odor. He was covered in bite marks and large gashes. He wouldn't drink and was emaciated and dehydrated. I had to repeatedly bring him to the vet multiple times and had to give him daily syringes of yogurt for probiotics.

I bought several betta fish in the past. Every time I come in there there are dead betta fish on the shelf. Random times there will be ones with fin rot, bloat, dull coloring, dirty cups so bad you can hardly see the fish, extensive amounts of leftover pellets, and swim bladder disease. One of the ladies who works there told me is is "normal" for a betta to float upside down and they are resilient. They have them in cups that are about one fourth the size of petcos betta cubes they sell them in.

95% of the time their platies have ich, sunken in bellies, or clamped fins.

Every time I visit the store there is at least one dead fish.

They house dozens of baby leopard geckos in one 5-gallon tank with one piece of bark to hide under.

They house dozens of hermit crabs in one five-gallon tank with only about 4 inches of substrate.

The owner is a creepy older fellow. All of the employees are girls. Mostly pretty younger ones that don't dress appropriately.

I wouldn't recommend this store to anyone unless you have an absolute emergency. 0 stars.

Last edited:
Wow... Just wow.
Absolutely disgusting place it sounds like.
The owner obviously has NO care for animals and has some other issues that I don't want to bring up here...
Sounds like the staff know 0 about any of the animals there as well. But in the end it all falls back on the owner because he hired those girls and he should be taking responsibility for how they care for the animals.

I don't even have the time to go into detail on each of those things their doing. But the one with the bunnies really disturbed me...
As well as the betta fish. And the rest were also extremely bad but those two just seemed to hurt the most

Yes, There used to be a really nice lady there, she played with the animals, cages were clean. No dead fish. As soon as she left, no one provided loving care for the animals. 😢

Most reactions

trending

Back